cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

So basically Domain Buy charges $70 to send an email or two and if there's no reply, oh well.

How many attempts are made to contact the owner before giving up?

Are the attempts only made by email or if not, what other methods and how many times for each. (ie how many phone calls, if you make phone calls).

If the domain is private, but private using GoDaddy, do you attempt to contact the owner via their account information or do you only use the email forwarding provided by the private proxy?

Where can someone review the complete terms and conditions for the Domain Buy service and why are the complete terms and conditions not posted on any of the pages promoting this service.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: So basically Domain Buy charges $70 to send an email or two and if there's no reply, oh well.

Another question:

Why does Domain Buy pricing include a commission?  To me that is GoDaddy practically telling us that they will work harder to contact the owners of expensive domains, because if successful they will receive a much larger commission.  But for domains that will only earn a $15 commission, GoDaddy will just keep the $70 fee and put their real time and energy and effort trying to help other customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So basically Domain Buy charges $70 to send an email or two and if there's no reply, oh well.

@domainwho wrote:

How many attempts are made to contact the owner before giving up?

Are the attempts only made by email or if not, what other methods and how many times for each. (ie how many phone calls, if you make phone calls).

If the domain is private, but private using GoDaddy, do you attempt to contact the owner via their account information or do you only use the email forwarding provided by the private proxy?

Where can someone review the complete terms and conditions for the Domain Buy service and why are the complete terms and conditions not posted on any of the pages promoting this service.

......and more

Re: So Basically Domain Buy Charges $70 To Send An Email Or Two And If There's No Reply, Oh Well.

Another question:

Why does Domain Buy pricing include a commission?  To me that is GoDaddy practically telling us that they will work harder to contact the owners of expensive domains, because if successful they will receive a much larger commission.  But for domains that will only earn a $15 commission, GoDaddy will just keep the $70 fee and put their real time and energy and effort trying to help other customers.

===========================================

Hi @domainwho,

First a tip, please don't answer your own posts with more questions or otherwise, as when folk see the post it gets transferred from 'unanswered' to 'All' and folk will assume that you have had a reply. Use the edit option instead and then just add more. Unless you like talking to yourself? In which case you can go for 'gold' and even 'solve' your own posts??.

In answer to 'and why are the complete terms and conditions not posted on any of the pages promoting this service.' [sic]

Well I don't know about every page, but it's hardly hard to find Godaddy Terms on just about everything: https://uk.godaddy.com/legal-agreements.aspx

Thank you. I try to never edit posts and as a novice here I was not aware that a post with a single reply would deter readers.

I did find the terms for US on similar page. They seem fairly reasonable but mostly cover the transactional aspects of the transfer process and payment.

There is nothing in the agreement that requires GoDaddy to try to contact the domain owner – not even just once! The agreement does, however, mention the $70 is nonrefundable in all circumstances.

Hey @domainwho,

The following is just an excerpt from our help article here on what our Domain Buy service is:

"We consider the services complete when:

• The Domain Buy Agent made a reasonable, best-effort attempt to contact the current domain name registrant, without response, within the appointed period of time.
  • You no longer want to pursue the domain name.
  • The current domain name registrant refuses your highest offer."

If those conditions are met, then you're correct in that the service is non-refundable.

Unfortunately, I can't give you more specifics to some of your original questions; like 'the number of attempts made', cause honestly there are multiple unknown variables that can change the answer. However, let me assure you that our agents take every opportunity possible to reach out to the current domain owner and broker a deal on your behalf.  

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

"our agents take every opportunity possible to reach out to the current domain owner"

That's a pretty meaningless thing to say. Are they going to visit a workplace to find the owner if it were possible? Of course not.

The help pages are not a contract. But even the help pages don't describe the effort to find the domain owner be as determined as you now make it out to be. Are you able to get more complete information?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@domainwho,

Put it another way, A has a site B wants. B sends A an email instead of using the service godaddy provides. That's fine but A won't hand over the site until B pays........ 

B won't hand over his tightly gripped wad of cash until A places site in B's possession. 

B in his desperation to get dogsDoDahs.com hands over cash to A, who lives in China and now your site and money are on a slow boat to China......... because Mr Wong is having a Holliday with your cash.........

OR..............

Do it your own way if you are not happy @CG and myself have tried to help but it's all an inexact science when it comes to negotiating. Trust is important, and if there is no trust there is no contract of sale. Nobody can make promises except to attempt a reasonable effort!

There is no need to respond to this, you just have to know what YOU want to do and just do it.

I appreciate that you tried to help but my questions remain unanswered, especially the question as to whether GoDaddy tries to contact domain owners who use GoDaddy with a private proxy via the private proxy contact info or using their actual GoDaddy account contact details.

I've tried to contact the domain owner myself via the private proxy details and haven't received a response. That is not surprising; I delete all that mail for my own domains. So if GoDaddy is going to just email the same address one or two times and then give up, that is not worth $70.  But if they will email or even call the person by using their actual GoDaddy contact details, it might be worth it.  The domain is unused and I can't figure out anything about the owner.

Rammsteinium your replies have nothing to do with what I'm asking. I understand how transactions work, and have used plenty of escrow services – although the Domain Buy agreement emphasizes it is NOT an escrow service, presumably because Domain Buy doesn't meet the legal and regulatory compliance requirements of an actual escrow service.

You say, "Nobody can make promises except to attempt a reasonable effort!"  Wrong. Part of my frustration is that CG did promise more than a reasonable effort. He pointed to help pages that describe a "best-effort" attempt to contact the owner. 

From lexiology.com,

"If a party promises “best efforts”, everything that can be done should be done, but not to the point of that party bankrupting itself. Although the “best efforts” qualifier must be set against the context and purpose of the contract in which it is found, the phrase "no stone unturned" exemplifies the "best efforts" standard.

By contrast, "reasonable efforts" implies that what can be done should be done, in the context and purpose of the contract, but without requiring a party to leave "no stone unturned". "Reasonable efforts" is a less onerous standard than "best efforts".

(end quote)

The difference hardly matters, however, because the contract doesn't obligate GoDaddy to do even one single thing to contact the domain owner. GoDaddy can collect $70, chase the lucrative sales and do nothing at all to pursue the ones with a $20 commission. Help pages or exaggerated claims by either of you two doesn't change that. If I buy a service that comes with a long, very detailed contract that makes it pretty clear GoDaddy doesn't trust the customer in any way whatsoever, why should I trust GoDaddy to make a "no stone unturned" effort, or any effort all, for an obligation which is specifically excluded from a contract that covers nearly every other detail.

Finally, I suppose you are not Chinese, although one doesn't need to be Chinese to find your post offensive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@domainwho,

“Finally, I suppose you are not Chinese, although one doesn't need to be Chinese to find your post offensive.”

i find your post offensive. It was merely an example of a country where USA law can not reach should you be robbed of your money. They won't go there and the criminals know it! You imply that my post was racist, no, speaking of any country in anything other than flowery positive words, is not racist. Maybe not PC, but certainly NOT racist. That's just a cheap shot because my argument is correct and is too close to the bone for you. Key word..... TRUST!

The very reason we (me included) choose privacy when registering a domain name is for protection from people abusing the whois info about us and sending spam.... or offers for our domains. Whether that be SEO services, buying offers from domain dealers, etc etc........

Anyone receiving an email offering to buy their domain will 99/100 get deleted along with all the other spam. Your email will land in their email spam box with NO recipient name, first warning. NO sign of proper trusted transaction process, second warning.

Who or what is going to be most trusted, YOUR unaddressed email, or one from GoDaddy?

So just carry on sending spam and you may find your spam gets forwarded and your account will be closed. Read my latest post on spam if you do not believe me! As for what option you chose I really don't care. I think you believe that it's not the purchase of this domain that is the goal, merely winning arguments. 

Godaddy domain buy service is what it is, either use it or don't, but the terms are set out, and arguing won't change them. You sound like you don't trust many people and that's a sign you should just stop right there...................

I did not come here to argue. I am a customer. I've spent thousands of dollars with GoDaddy. I am asking legitimate questions about Domain Buy because I have a serious interest in buying that service.  I think it is reasonable to ask about how a domain owner will be contacted because my own attempts have failed; GoDaddy is in the unique position of having the domain owner's actual information not just the proxy; and the Domain Buy agreement does not say anything about how domain owners will be contacted. I'd imagine GoDaddy will make some modifications to the agreement and update the language on those help pages once these issues reach the right person.

Obviously, the right person is not you.  I don't know what qualifies you to be a "GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor" but your communication skills need a ton of work.  At most companies personal attacks on a customer would get you fired. Further, I never called you racist; but what is the purpose of portraying a theoretical, dishonest domain seller with imaginary details that are unnecessary, add no value, and rely on stereotypes - that unscrupulous Chinese businessman, "Mr Wong", and his "slow boat to China", on vacation with your money. Oh, right, that's not offensive because you were just "stating facts."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@domainwho wrote:

I did not come here to argue. I am a customer. I've spent thousands of dollars with GoDaddy. I am asking legitimate questions about Domain Buy because I have a serious interest in buying that service.  I think it is reasonable to ask about how a domain owner will be contacted because my own attempts have failed; GoDaddy is in the unique position of having the domain owner's actual information not just the proxy; and the Domain Buy agreement does not say anything about how domain owners will be contacted. I'd imagine GoDaddy will make some modifications to the agreement and update the language on those help pages once these issues reach the right person.

Obviously, the right person is not you.  I don't know what qualifies you to be a "GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor" but your communication skills need a ton of work.  At most companies personal attacks on a customer would get you fired. Further, I never called you racist; but what is the purpose of portraying a theoretical, dishonest domain seller with imaginary details that are unnecessary, add no value, and rely on stereotypes - that unscrupulous Chinese businessman, "Mr Wong", and his "slow boat to China", on vacation with your money. Oh, right, that's not offensive because you were just "stating facts."

@domainwho,

I do not make the policies. Nor @CG, we simply stated what they were. I think you both resent the fact that your efforts are a failure, and also in your belief that GoDaddy's buy domain policy is vague, resent that too. So you feel you are between a rock and a hard place, I get it, I do. But arguing that the service is not good enough for you, yet really you do want to use it because you have no other choice.............. that is YOUR problem, not mine. All I was trying to point out was the danger of just doing deals informally by email. Also pointing out the terms of GoDaddy buy domain service.

You have a choice as with all things. Arguing about YOUR choices smacks of schizophrenia!! 

I have spent thousands of pounds on toilet roll......... that doesn't make me a qualified plumber, but I do recognise something that needs flushed........................... goodbye! 

Helper IV
Helper IV
Solution

As a former insider, I will say this. The agents don't get paid anything unless they close a deal. They aren't sitting back trying to rack up Domain Buy Fees. They are a solid group of professionals with solid contacts in the industry.

If they cannot get a hold of someone it's often because the person does not want to sell and does not respond to their email. That being said, the likelihood of someone responding to an @godaddy.com email address is greater than them responding to coolguy123@free-email.com, so it's a valuable service.

Maybe this will work better.

Hello Blake,

I can't believe who GoDaddy allows to represent the company on your forums:

I had some questions about Domain Buy. Instead of sharing information, a "GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor" has repeatedly posted nonsensical and offensive answers all while taking the opportunity to tell me that I am being dishonest, and resentful, a failure, incapable of trusting people, "possibly schizophrenic," and "need to be flushed" who only came here to argue because I'm actually lying about my interest in a domain. Also, sending two emails attempting to buy a domain on my own apparently makes me a spammer. I was warned my account could be closed. I need assurance that will not happen. The "GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor" said he does not care and told me my posts are offensive (read his).

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Domain-Investing/So-basically-Domain-Buy-charges-70-to-send-an-ema...

Please let me know if you can put me in touch with someone willing to discuss Domain Buy. I think the agreement misses a couple important things.

Many thanks