cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

Do transfered domains retain existing name server settings?

New GoDaddy user. Not sure of this transfer behavior yet.

I wish to transfer our domains from verio/tucows in to GoDaddy, but I wish to let Verio continue hosting DNS for the time being until I can get it setup on GoDaddy's end (eliminating any gap in service).

When I transfer a name in, will it automatically keep/retain it's current name server settings? Or will they default to something else?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Solution

Re: Do transfered domains retain existing name server settings?

Greetings @RiscIt,

Thank you for asking. The DNS nameservers remain the same as they were at the time you enter the transfer codes.

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Highlighted
Helper I

Thank you, Thomas. We appreciate it.

So just to clarify my domain is currently with TalkTalk and the DNS servers are set to Fasthost's DNS servers.

Once it's transferred to GoDaddy will Godaddy keep the DNS servers as Fasthosts or will it default to GoDaddy's?

In the past when transferring to other registers the DNS servers where set to the DNS servers of the new register. I don’t how GoDaddy does it but in the past I was not able to update the DNS servers until the transfer was complete. This meant that I had to wait until the transfer is complete and the quickly update the DNS server. The only problem is that GoDaddy's support docs say that "Domain transfers can take up to 7 to 10 days to complete" so it's no good if the transfer completes on day I am not in the office.

Kev