cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Moving GoDaddy Domain Name from WordPress to Blogger

Hi,

I recently purchased a domain name from Go Daddy which is linked/mapped to Word Press. I have since decided this is not the hosting platform for me, as it doesn't allow for customisation without an expensive business account. I'd like to move back across to Blogger, but I don't want to lose the domain name I've paid for.

Is there a way to unmap the domain name from wordpress and remap it to blogger?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Helper I

Hey, Verity,

I'm not sure what you consider expensive, but the basic account for 1 web site is only $3.99 a month to start, $7.99 to renew... though I'd suggest the next step up for a dollar or two more - you get a staging site, which is nice to experiment with.

Still, if you have hosting somewhere else and you want to keep your domain at GoDaddy, follow these steps:

Find the domain on your domain control panel, click the pull-down, and click Set Nameservers.  (You can also change DNS entries here):

2018-01-06-Domain-Menu.JPGThis gives you a list of DNS records. Click the Edit icon to the right of the A rec:

2018-01-06-Domain-ARec.JPG

That gives you this, where you change the IP address to the IP address from your new hosting provider, then click Save:

2018-01-06-Domain-ARecEdit.JPG

When I'm going to be making changes to IP addresses, I'll often set the TTL (time to live) to 10 minutes (600 seconds)... but once it's really a production site, you shouldn't need that frequency; go to at least an hour.

Hope that helps,

Ray

Not a GoDaddy employee or support staff; I am a GoDaddy Pro with significant experience using a variety of GoDaddy services.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Helper I

Hey, Verity,

I'm not sure what you consider expensive, but the basic account for 1 web site is only $3.99 a month to start, $7.99 to renew... though I'd suggest the next step up for a dollar or two more - you get a staging site, which is nice to experiment with.

Still, if you have hosting somewhere else and you want to keep your domain at GoDaddy, follow these steps:

Find the domain on your domain control panel, click the pull-down, and click Set Nameservers.  (You can also change DNS entries here):

2018-01-06-Domain-Menu.JPGThis gives you a list of DNS records. Click the Edit icon to the right of the A rec:

2018-01-06-Domain-ARec.JPG

That gives you this, where you change the IP address to the IP address from your new hosting provider, then click Save:

2018-01-06-Domain-ARecEdit.JPG

When I'm going to be making changes to IP addresses, I'll often set the TTL (time to live) to 10 minutes (600 seconds)... but once it's really a production site, you shouldn't need that frequency; go to at least an hour.

Hope that helps,

Ray

Not a GoDaddy employee or support staff; I am a GoDaddy Pro with significant experience using a variety of GoDaddy services.

View solution in original post