cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring godaddy domain and keeping email service

Hi everyone, hope to get some help here

I have developed a new website to replace my existing one and I need to point the domain name to my new nameservers. The problem is that the emails are currently set up in godaddy using the secureserver.net mx records.  The previous website developer set these email accounts up on my behalf.  Unfortunately the domain is still in the possession of the previous developer who is being less than helpful. I understand the process of transferring domains, and understand the mx records that need adding to the server, however I am concerned what happens to the the emails when the domain is transferred. I usually use fasthosts for purchasing domains, but I assume in this instance I will have to make sure I transfer the domain into a godaddy account? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to transfer this domain soon and cant afford to risk losing all the emails.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Transferring godaddy domain and keeping email service

Hi @Steve42,

Welcome to the Community!

First, if the domain is with GoDaddy, and you are listed as the registrant of the domain, you can request that the domain be moved to your account in order to control the DNS. 

https://supportcenter.secureserver.net/ChangeRequest/Index

If the former developer with the domain will cooperate, a change of account (to your own GoDaddy account) is easy and free. The current holder just needs your email address and would take these steps. If they choose "Keep the current nameservers for this domain", there would be no change to the DNS. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Thank you. And this will also ensure the 3 email accounts set up for the domain and moved over with no loss of emails?

Hi @Steve42,

No, a "change of account" will only move the domain. To move the emails, please contact customer support. They can determine the type of email plan you have and advise you of the best way to move the email addresses to your control. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support