cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Unable to use my custom domain for my Tumblr blog

A few weeks ago I purchased a domain name to use for my Tumblr account, but I've been unable to use it.

I've changed all of the settings suggested  (A record and CNAME etc. and the site is pointing to Tumblr (when accessing the address, it is a very basic Tumblr page without the content - white background, and a list of numbers.). However, when I try to change the URL settings on Tumblr itself, it says 'This domain name is already in use' and so will not allow me to use the URL.

Has anyone had this experience?

3 REPLIES 3
Employee
Employee

Re: Unable to use my custom domain for my Tumblr blog

Hello @LivKay!

Thank you for posting. I'm not certain what would cause that other than the domain already being added to Tumblr. You may want to reach out to them, if possible, to see if they can find out why that's coming up that way. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hello @LivKay!

Thank you for posting. I'm not certain what would cause that other than the domain already being added to Tumblr. You may want to reach out to them, if possible, to see if they can find out why that's coming up that way. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Highlighted
New

Thank you Heather,

I emailed back and forth with Tumblr who eventually had to 'free' the domain. I think the domain was marked as unavailable on their system or something.