• GoDaddy Community
  • GoCentral | Website Builder
  • GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

How do you set a link to open in a new tab?

When I create a link within a section, the link always opens in the current browser tab. How do you make the link open in a new tab instead?

24 REPLIES 24
    Helper II
    Helper II
    Solution

Re: How do you set a link to open in a new tab?

@mansfjc Are you using an HTML section or talking about the "action button" option within the section?   

For action buttons, if you use an "external URL" link, it will automatically open in a new tab.  You can url's to other pages within your site as external urls and "trick" the interface to open in a new tab. 

If you are creating links within an HTML section, adding target="_blank" to the A tag will open it in a new tab.

Neither of those scenarios. I am talking about editing text within a group that is a component of a standard content section. I have highlighted text and added a link to the text within the group. Like this:

2018-03-28_15-06-45.gif

When users click on the link, it is opening in the same tab. I want it to open in a new tab.

www.stratmax.net

Helper II
    Helper II

Unfortunately,  for that type of link in the current version of Go Central, there is no option to open in a new tab.  :-(

The only workaround would be the action button or html section...

New

@pasaytenpetewrote:

Unfortunately,  for that type of link in the current version of Go Central, there is no option to open in a new tab.  :-(

The only workaround would be the action button or html section...

Is that something that can be looked at please?  Am also having the same problem and as we will need a lot of links to other resources (and don't want to lose site visitors off to other sites!) its something that might push us to a different platform ...

New

I am having the same issue, except that some of the links open in a new tab but 2 do not.  I don't know why some work and some don't.

At least I can see now why I cannot make a link in my text open in a different tab.  Very frustrating that I potentially lose a visitor when you show them a link to an external site. I join others here is asking for this to be offered as an option in the Builder.  If we could just add the target="_blank" code to our links or be given the same option as on the action buttons that would be great. Any chance?

Yeah. I hit the same problem. 

I just want to be able to link to a new tab, but I can't select that. 

Edit_Site_-_Flivver_Music_and_UNPW_and_UNPW.jpg

That's a big problem and it wasn't solved by the "Solved" answer.

Also, it would be nice to allow screen caps to be copy and pasted into this dialogue. Like, you know, everybody else does. 

New

I'm having the same issue where some links open in a new tab and some not.  I really hope this can be fixed soon! 

Many of us need this open link in a new window fixed.  Why is it that Go Daddy does not respond here?  Why can't you build this option into Go Central?

Please, please help us!!!

Employee
    Employee

Hey folks - 

I apologize for the inconsistency in setting links to open in a new tab; this is great feedback and I'm sorry it's not working as you're expecting today. I've fed this request back into the product team, but do not currently have an estimated fix date. We'll update here when we do, and again - I'm sorry about the inconvenience!

Best-

Heidi, GoDaddy product manager

I have tried this on my page and it's not working. 

i place target="_blank" on the ending of the link but what seems to happen it shows on the regular page the coding and doesn't work. 

this is not working for me, i'm using html coding putting it on the end of the A tag. 

@pasaytenpete wrote:

@mansfjc Are you using an HTML section or talking about the "action button" option within the section?   

For action buttons, if you use an "external URL" link, it will automatically open in a new tab.  You can url's to other pages within your site as external urls and "trick" the interface to open in a new tab. 

If you are creating links within an HTML section, adding target="_blank" to the A tag will open it in a new tab.

Thanks, @hgibson Heidi - as someone who used to work in software dev and with product managers, I assure you this is a very important feature for the GoCentral web tools.  I would even go so far as to say it's a bug and not a feature enhancement.  It was available in the old Business Website Builder.  This is remotely associated with another "defect," and that's the missing option for a link within text content to a PDF file.  Also available in the old Business Website Builder.

Hope this makes sense.

Employee
    Employee

Hey @mansfjc - this has been fixed, I just went and double checked. You will need to update the links in your site, but if you go to that text editing section, select copy, click on the 'link' icon, then you'll see an option for internal and external links. Click on the "Website URL" link, add your link, and it will now automatically open in a new tab. 

thank you for your patience!

heidi

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 10.48.52 AM.png

Well, you fixed it for those that wanted a new tab, but you broke it for me.  Smiley Happy  

Basically, I'm wanting it to open in the same tab when you click on a link, so that a user can click the "back button" and get back to my site.  I have several links that display some basic information and there is no way to navigate out of them once they open in a new tab, so having the "Back" button gets the user back to the screen to select a different option.  Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, since you made your changes in mid-June, all of my new links open in a new tab, and all the old ones in the same tab.  This really needs to be an option for the web admin...not just a change by the GoDaddy staff that affects everyone.  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit everyone's needs.

My example - https://boiseautocross.com/event-results  Then click on any results as of June 30th or later and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks!

New

I have this same problem.

New

When will this be fixed. I talked at length with a Godaddy rep and he seemed very responsive but I have not heard back from him or anyone else at Godaddy as to when this will be fixed. Very frustrating, to say the least.

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hey folks - 

I suspect this won't be what everyone wants, and I apologize profusely for that, but here's the status: 

1. We did a bunch of research and best practices for websites is for external links to open in a new tab, so the team has decided not to give users the option of choosing to open in the same tab for external links. External links will continue to open automatically in a new tab.

2. If you already had external links on your site (e.g. that did not open in a new tab) before this change was made, then you will need to re-do the old links for all the links on your site to behave consistently. 

Thanks for your patience, and apologies again for both the re-work and for what I know may not be the answer you'd like to hear. 

-Heidi, GoDaddy product manager

Well thanks for making the decision on what works best for me. Honestly sounds like you guys don't want to put the effort in to create an option for all users. Just do us a favor and don't blame "best practice" as the reason.

OK, so I'm not a Web developer, and I've spent about two hours playing with setting up a site, and this is already a serious problem for me. GoDaddy, you CANNOT predict for any user whether or not a link would best open in a new tab (with no Back option) or in the same tab (with Back working). Even links from the same page might be best if they operated differently - you don't know. I may need to find some real development tools.

So what if the external site is another GoDaddy customer site and you're trying to have multiple people work on one overall site, using several sites with identical themes? You don't allow customers to merge sites, you charge $60 to copy a site, and you don't allow segmenting an account by site with different login credentials. This means if I'm trying to give a consistent look and feel to a site, once I link to another site it's in a different tab rather than the same tab as it would be if it were truly one site. We haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing that if we click back and forth a few times we're going to have many, many tabs open. Is our only option to create a new account, recreate the work we've already done, and give all content contributors access, meaning access to profile and payment information as well?

Super User III Super User III
    Super User III

@UsuallyRightYou can "Delegate Access" which allows you to select others who can manage your products, but not your account profile or payment information.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/delegate-access-levels-of-permission-12374?

As GoCentral is more aimed toward simple websites I suggest considering a more robust platform, like WordPress which allows you to assign user roles.

New

This is exactly right. Each user should have the choice here. People who use my site end up having too many tabs open and additionally they have trouble navigating back to the site. When I originally talked with a Godaddy rep about this, he immeditely understood the problem and suggested a toggle that would let the user make the choice. It's too bad the software engineers could not take the very, very small time to make this simple fix. Offering something and then taking it away -- not a wise decision in this competitive background.