• GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Setting up my Go Daddy website on an external domain

Before I start let me state - I am a novice and I have read the guide called "Change my domain's website address" available through the website builder help page.

I have bought a domain which I would like to use for my Go Daddy built webpage. I have logged into my domain provider's website to change the A record - but I can't find the A record. Is the A record the same the name server? Or am I changing the host server?

Also, what is Go Daddy's host name? I have tried godaddysites.com but when I enter that in, my domain seems to override the IP address that I've already entered.

I'm in Australia if that helps, as I know the IP addresses are different depending on the region you are in.

4 REPLIES 4
    New

Re: Setting up my Go Daddy website on an external domain

Hello @deepcreekcc 

Do you have a hosting plan with cPanel here at GoDaddy ?

Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hi @deepcreekcc. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! You can point a domain with a 3rd party provider to your GoCentral site by either updating the A Record with your DNS provider or by updating the nameservers that your domain references with your registrar. Your DNS provider is determined by the nameservers your domain uses. 

An A Record is a DNS record associated with a domain name's zone file. The zone file is a document that tells other computers in a network which addresses the domain points to for various services. The zone file for a domain should exist on the nameservers you set for the domain. 

The easiest way to get this addressed would likely be to update the nameservers for your domain with your registrar. You can find the correct nameservers to use by following the steps in this article. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I don't know... I'm using the Website Builder Business vNext free trial.

I had thought that it includes hosting and that I could use my external domain.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@deepcreekcc Yes. You definitely can use your 3rd party domain with a GoCentral (which is the same as vNext) Website Builder plan. The way to do so is by following the steps I mentioned above Man Happy

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.