cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Transfer from Business Website Builder to GoCentral Business

Hello

I bought a more advanced website package when my Business Website Builder expired. 

I thought I could transfer my website to this new GoCentral Business, as this is what I was advised.

As my old package expired, I couldn't access it. I rang support who said to buy one month so it could be transferred.

I've done that, but now I cannot see how to transfer from Business Website Builder to GoCentral Business, and don't want to have to set it all back up from scratch.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to just migrate from one to the other. 

Thanks,

16 REPLIES 16
    Helper IV
    Helper IV
    Solution

Re: Transfer from Business Website Builder to GoCentral Business

They are two totally separate web platforms. There is no way to "migrate" one to the other. You will need to build the new site on GoCentral.

I was also told this when they called me to upgrade.  I am not happy with being told something that was not accurate.  I would not have done it at this time.

New

This is sad. I've spent time on the website builder and now to re-create the same thing all over again in GoCentral Smiley Sad

New

This whole thing was a poor choice for GoDaddy's current clients. I was also misinformed by a GoDaddy employee earlier this week who told me that my website could be moved into the new builder without losing any layout changes.

I won't be paying GoDaddy another hosting fee when it expires in March only to be treated like second-class fodder.

I was told the same thing by the sales rep that sold me 5 years of the GoCentral product and sent me a link to how I could cut and paste my old website over from Website Builder "in 15 minutes or less." The link was dead and when I called tech support they told me that there is no way to migrate the site and that I would have to download and reload pictures to the new platform and essentially rebuild the entire website from scratch. I have somewhere in the range of 50-75 hours into my website and was livid that there wasn't a better solution. So I cancelled the GoCentral product and renewed Website Builder at an exorbitant rate for another year in the hopes that they come up with a solution to this problem in the meantime since Website Builder will be going away at some point. If GoDaddy's solution is to make every customer re-build their website from scratch I will never use them again and I suspect most customers won't either. I'll find a service that doesn't require me to spend 50 hours rebuilding my website every few years. I can't believe this was considered a viable solution to get customers to switch products, and the sales department should be ashamed of themselves peddling these lies about ease of migration...

How could the builders not create a function to transfer from an existing GoDaddy product?  Really disappointing!

I had so many hours in the Website Builder Platform. I bought mine the end of 2013 when I changed careers and needed a website. I learned it and yes, I struggled, but back then Go Daddy helped people like me. I was lucky enough to run across a few of the webmasters who assisted me in some of the basic ropes. I was also caught in the 6 to 7 version upgrade. They trashed my website. Did not warn me they were upgrading and never told me the upgrade wouldn't work on some of the templates. I guess mine was one of them, I believe I spent 80 solid hours trying to fix what no longer worked. I was livid.  Website Builder platform has always had problems. The mobile is wicked, blogs look terrible on mobile and a person can never get back to the main mobile on android (Samsung Note 8) from a blog. Many templates had problems and the bugs were never fixed on a few templates I tried.

What I do want to say in Go Daddy's behalf that they gave me some free trial time to help me convert to a new template on Website Builder, but I found myself involved with templates that still did not have the bugs worked out of them. They always assisted me when I had problems. No one ever told me I could cut and paste in 15 minutes. I was told it was going to take a long time to convert. However, I had a webmaster that told me the truth. He was awesome and he was very apologetic about the choice Go Daddy made. 

About 2 1/2 years back, I knew Website Builder had limited time support then. It was all over Google and not just on this site. The person that was awesome and helped me out left.  I tried to convert to GoCentral then, and it was a plain bad replacement. No options, pictures wouldn't fit, couldn't add pages and I was told, be patient, we are working on it.

I asked for my money back, they returned it, and I continued to stay on my Website Builder Platform and I still had paid for future time. My Website Builder platform will expire in May. I was panicked. Last week I went out looking on the Web for a new host.  I just couldn't face another company. So I kind of said, please let me get a kind, caring person to give me a hand, no jerks allowed and I dialed. I'm a woman, can't you tell.  So Cool Planet Bikes, here is what I found. I did purchase the GoCentral Business Plus. I have a lot of Domains and also extra emails. I plan on my business growing,I  take it slow, I am smart and patient. I tell myself that every morning to not get upset.  My computer is a new Dell Optiplex750 and is not a portable.

I got linked up with the most amazing woman on Go Daddy.  We talked everything through, almost 4 hours on the phone.  I wanted to get three years and pay now, and keep my price lower. What I will tell you, the new Go Central Business Plus is awesome. I know my web stuff now, so do you, and really the conversion will not be difficult. What I found is that you will be able to design a new high powered web site for a fraction of the time that you spent on Website Builder. You can change your presentation so hey, you do bikes in winter and summer and maybe high powered mountain bikes with big fat tires? I don't know, but I live in Colorado, in the mountains. I have biked my whole life and I trail ride in the back country.Put Fat bike tires on your pictures in winter and skinny in summer  and have some FUN making a new web site.

I resisted this so much, I felt the same way with Go-Daddy. The scuttlebutt on the internet was everywhere, don't go back to Go-Daddy.  But you know? They have a business to run and they need to be profitable. I need to be profitable and you too. Many things are changing on social media. I have not finished my web site. However, I am looking forward to changing my look from the old site and get up and running on friendly mobile and computer versions. I did choose Go Central Business Plus. Not just business. Look at that option, more choices on the website. My representative talked to me, I have two blogs and I want good SEO and I am on Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram. It is not that much different in price and you can connect with Yelp too. That might help you, I have no idea. 

You might consider not opting for connecting to Microsoft Word 365 with the email connection, Central comes with it, however they link you in someway to an email and you can't get out of it. AT the end of the free year problems arise with the email.   I have never heard so many F words from friends who connected. I do not believe the bugs are worked out yet with Go Daddy. Now, maybe I am not correct here currently, about this add on, but I would be wary about this combo. I did not chose it. I own 365 separately.

Of course, I am saying that you will like this new platform, I don't know what you will like, but I do know this. It will not be hard to convert, it will take some time but you are just getting smarter when you learn a new trick of any trade.  Since you created a site with website builder, you are a college graduate compared to most who change over. The best to you. Hope this helps.

Barbara

New

Same issue upgrading "onlinestore' to GoCentral with store. The store portion is identical platform. Yet Godaddy failed to provide an easy migration solution. We have to rebuild from scratch and we have two very busy stores.

Mont
    Helper II

I have a V7 website that has gone through 3 people before getting to me. I am not sure I can even find the original source items. My site expires on 6/3/19 and the tech who wanted me to switch to GC said I could be easily moved by then. No way. I am pretty comfortable with the v7 site, but don't have a clue on the best way to move. I am shown a dozen themes and asked to pick one. But they all look the same. How do I find something close to what I have now? Why are there so few themes from which to chose? If I must start over, are there better solutions out there than GoCentral?

All of the posts in this thread are saying the same thing. Stay with V7 or start all over. A happy camper, not. I completely sympathize with the OP.

Yes, that would be a very difficult solution. I did not have have  an on line store yet, as I was not selling my books.  That made your upgrade much harder than mine. Best to you. 

I have been through this too, but I would tell you to make the move and you don't have much time and I did not renew version 7 . No one at Go Daddy even understands version 7. They do not understand the complexities or the controls etc to copy and paste.   I have been in big discussions with them. So use my time that I put in and go to GO Central. Make sure you pick the site that has the big on line store. It is the most costly but I put mine on 3 years and they worked with me.  Or, I do believe you will not have as many options to sell. You should check this first and call and ask them what you bought. I loved the more expensive site I am doing books and want to build my business. Just Pick a theme that looks OK. You won't be tied into this theme but you can begin to work and understand what you need to do.   I was able to add both of my blogs from Google, a poetry blog and my Bio Blog. I liked the simplicity of the pictures, They will adjust and shrink to the right size. It happens on the update but my Blog background really adjusted to actual once I published. I kept my website as I wanted to pay for that domain and not lose my last name for publishing my books. But my new site is under another Domain with my full name for publishing my books and they port all of my inquiries to the new site. Even On Pinterest . So I don't know if you have the same issues there. Just start. If you were smart enough to do version 7 you beat most people making a web site. Congratulations.  So get going, My original GoDaddy account went for years. There was a mess when they tried upgrading my  original account before Go Central. I think it was version 4 but a long time ago, don't hold me to it  and I had garbage everywhere. So they know they can't convert Version 7 to Go Central. It is an entirely different platform.  I would tell you to breathe deep. Then begin, and do your best to keep the upset down. Hope this helps. Barbara

I hope you got my reply. I don't know for sure if it went to you, but go up the feed . I may have done my reply to the person above. Let me know. I might be able to copy and paste, but both of my replies are about Go Central and Website builder Version 7. The best to you.

Helper II

Thank you for your comments. After experimenting with GoCentral I have to the conclusion that V7 is a more robust platform. I certainly like the UI of V7 over GC. I think I may stay with V7 or dump GC altogether.

Regards,

Mike

Yes, version 7, has so much more. However Go-Daddy is not committing to continuing  their support on this version. They will not give a deadline for shutting down.  That is why I changed. I found those comments somewhere on the forum. It will happen,  and I didn't want the brain damage from panic.i looked, I chose Organic theme to build my site. I'm going to try to attach for you. I have a lot of work to go, but I like the clean fast click through.  People take less than a minute  or two and then leave if you are a writer. If you are selling hard goods, that's a different story. Best to you. If this doesn't link just search for it.www.barbaramertus.com Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note8, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
    Helper II

Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to renew for 1 month then move to another site.

I have run into same problem. I was told I could just cut and paste from Website Builder to GoCentral or just drag it. WRONG! I am VERY UPSET!