cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

IIS .Net Max File Size

My previous post on this was removed for some reason. I have also contacted support via chat and have not had a satisfactory\working solution to this.

The support staff said to try setting the PHP initialization file for the site i.e. upload_max_filesize = 8M however I AM NOT USING PHP ITS A .NET WEBSITE.

I have built a .NET MVC website and im hosing it on Godaddys windows web hosting (Ultimate package). I want to increase the max file size upload for my website to 30MB from the default IIS 4MB. Ive tried setting the <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="31457280" /> as in below but the website throws "Maximum request length exceeded." error when I try to upload anything over the default 4MB limit.

<security>
      <!-- 
      The default maximum upload file size is limited to 4MB by ASP.NET. Additionally, IIS 7+ limits the request size to 30MB.   
      This section increases the allowed request size for IIS 7 in the requestFiltering section
      -->
      <requestFiltering>
        <!-- The content length is in bytes (MAX SIZE=30MB) -->
        <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="31457280" />
      </requestFiltering>
    </security>

3 REPLIES 3
Solution

Re: IIS .Net Max File Size

Hey @bsheehy,

First, let me assure you that your post was not removed. If you check your profile history like I have, you should see that you posted this same inquiry on another discussion titled Maximum File Upload Size

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert when it comes to MVC applications, but I do know if you're trying to increase the file upload limits within an ASP.NET environment that you'll need to override the default settings using a web.config file. The following is just a sample code you should be able to use:

<configuration>
  <system.web>
    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="xxx" />
  </system.web>
</configuration>

The "xxx" is in KB. The default is 4096 (= 4 MB)

Hope this helps. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thanks CG that did the trick - I was under the impression that because I was using IIS7 I had to use 'maxAllowedContentLength' but when I used it and 'maxRequestLength' it worked.

Cheers

Is there a GoDaddy server limitation that is limiting File Uploads to 30 MB?  From IIS documentation, on IIS6 must set system.web/httpRuntime maxRequestLength, default is 4096 kilobytes (4 MB), MaxValue is 2147483647 KB (2 TB).  On IIS7, must set system.webServer/security/requestFiltering/requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength, default is 30000000 bytes (28.6 MB), MaxValue is 4294967295 bytes (4 GB).

Anytime I try to upload a file 30 MB or larger it fails.  have the following attributes in my web.config:

<system.web>
    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="204800" executionTimeout="7200"/>
</system.web>
<system.webServer>
    <security>
      <requestFiltering>
        <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="209715200" ></requestLimits>
      </requestFiltering>
    </security>
</system.webServer>