cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Password change taking too long to complete

OK I'm on a "legacy" plan, apparently.  Renewed it in June; I guess the $$ is too attractive for anyone in the Mothership to point out I should migrate to a cPanel plan.  I didn't discover that my site had gone down until a day in, and by that time I was too late... 

I was working on my Wordpress and when I went to adjust the splash page for my website, I got an error message as follows:

Could not connect to MySQL: Access denied for user 'lifelucas'@'97.74.24.169' (using password: YES)

The site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. We appologize for any inconvenience.

Thinking that I had been hacked by Russians because of the fact that "apologize" is spelled "appologize" (another fine product of the American public school system!), I submitted a password change request for the one FTP user on my account (me) and it's been spinning on "Pending" for TWO DAYS now.  TWO DAYS.  The nice young man in India I chatted with told me it would be "soon" -- this was FRIDAY, mind you -- but could take "up to 24 hours, and meanwhile I'm going to load up your cart with $400 worth of products you don't need."  Okay, I still can't get into my site via FTP, which means I can't let my developer in either to repair strings. 

Chatting with someone calling herself Jenny yesterday -- 24 hours in -- I'm told I can migrate to a cPanel hosting plan, but I have to do all the work myself or pay an "expert" 80 bucks to do it for me (REALLY?), but nothing can be done until the password change propagates through the system... which can take "up to 24 hours". 

Well, it's now more than 48 hours in, and it's still spinning on "Pending..."  the chat button doesn't load and I'm not sure whether I am too angry to call.  I'm looking for a new hosting company because as it sits, I'm paying Godaddy to sit there with its collective thumb up its collective butt and charge me three times what I'd pay at Hostgator or elsewhere to ignore me. 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Password change taking too long to complete

@GEUKimo 

I understand your frustration. I think in this instance it would be best to contact phone support, explain the situation, and let them see if they can help.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User III
Super User III

@GEUKimo 

I only say that because on the community boards most of us are volunteers and we don't have server access like that. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi MrVapor --

I totally get it.  I am mostly venting; it's coming up on 60 hours that I can't get into my site, and the last two times I chatted with someone -- on chat, not the phone, which comes right now -- they did nothing but tell me I'd have to wait and then added "suggested products" to my shopping cart. 

I am hoping that MAYBE someone who can do something will eventually see this and maybe get a clue, but the way things are going I am not holding any hope for that. Godaddy is clearly all about the $$, and is perfectly happy to let me pay for a site that's down and that I cannot access.

Product Team
Product Team

Hi @GEUKimo

Thank you for your post and sharing this information - I would like to investigate the source of the spelling error, however I was not able to replicate what you reported seeing.  Can you let me know where that error message was displayed to you (i.e. was it on one of your website pages or somewhere in our control panels?  

Thank you advance for your help tracking this down. 

I have also experienced poor service. My website suddenly showed an error page, without me being notified. I wondered why customers haven’t contacted me.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @GEUKimo. Thanks for posting your experience. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a difficult time with this. Firstly, if you had a previous discussion with our care team and they didn't let you know about the possibility of moving to cPanel (prior to your having issues) I do apologize. That is a conversation that definitely should have occurred.

Second, it should never take that long for a password to change. The only exception would be if there was some form of an ongoing issue with the hosting environment, in which case you would have been told that. FTP password resets usually happen within minutes and I'm sorry if the care team members that you spoke with didn't realize there was a problem.

For future reference, if a password change gets "stuck", our advanced hosting team can usually get it fixed pretty easily if the care team member reaches out to them. I appreciate you bringing the issue forward and we'll pass on your feedback appropriately. 

@FJD2019 Sorry to hear you also had a disappointing experience. 

If there is a specific technical issue that the community can try to help out with for either of you, I'd encourage you to post that subject as it's own thread. Someone may be able to provide suggestions on how you can move forward.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.