cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

suspicious (?) new user registrations on my Wordpress site

Over the past three days, Ive had an influx of people registering on my site as new 'users/subscribers'. Other than three yahoo addresses that registered within a few minutes of each other, most of them have very odd email addresses e.g @misc.wheets.com, @mailcatch.com, @say.salazza.com.

I'm suspicious about what or who these "new users" are. While my site may be amazingly interesting, I doint think thats what's attracted these new users. (I do have a subscription mechanism on the site which they've not registered for)

Can anybody advise what's happening here?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

4 REPLIES 4
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: suspicious (?) new user registrations on my Wordpress site

Hello @PhillyH

If you allowing everyone to register on your site, then you have to assume some risks, but you can't be suspicious of any new registrationSmiley Happy you just have to improve your security by different methods, one of them being this plugin.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

Ok, thanks Adrian, I see how to prevent this, but why do people register as users, rather than subscribing to the site? (Sorry if it's a naive question)

@Adrian8 wrote:

Hello @PhillyH

If you allowing everyone to register on your site, then you have to assume some risks, but you can't be suspicious of any new registrationSmiley Happy 

Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

You're welcome @PhillyH

Although "the assumption is the mother of all mistakes", I will make some assumptions in order to give you an answer as complete as I can right now.

If the option to register is available, the will use it, but regarding the reasons we can only speculate.

I don't know what type of content you have on your site, but as a general rule, I suggest to disable the public registration.

If you do not have a public forum, for debates on various topics, or a store to sell something, I can't imagine why you will let that function active.

If you want users to keep track of your new content, then you should use a newsletter plugin or something similar.

I can keep saying things here, but I really don't want to make too many assumptions without knowing what is on your site.

Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

Thank you, Adrian8!  Great info for a newbie like me!