• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Getting Started

Move: WP.com to WP.org

I have a WP.com site where the domain name was registered via GoDaddy. I paid for upgraded WP site and moved the DNS to be managed by Wordpress so the site name is www.itsonlyage.com with no wordpress ads or name in url.

I want to add site features (HTML widgets) not available on WP.com and I'm not savvy or experienced or confident to transfer existing site myself. 

I am considering GoDaddy WP Deluxe Managed WordPress Websites Package.

Questions:

1. Is this the right package to transfer my site intact to a fully customizable wordpress.org template

2. Does GoDaddy have a process so I don't have to download SQL or other unfamiliar tasks.

Currently when I open GoDaddy Domain Manager I see: 

Records

We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us.

Nameservers

Last updated 1/11/2017 7:08 PM

Using custom nameservers

NS1: WORDPRESS.COM

NS2: WORDPRESS.COM

NS3: WORDPRESS.COM

Thanks for helping me understand what I need to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@thanewest wrote:

Yeah they have a site migration utility once you purchase the hosting plan, so moving your existing website from wp.com to Godaddy should be a very simple task, just follow the on page steps and tutorials for their migration service once you purchase the plan.

Alternatively, you could install "updraft plus" plugin - use the plugin to backup your entire existing website's files, buy the hosting plan, connect the domain to the new hosting plan, login to your fresh install of wp on the new hosting account, install updraft plus there, upload your updraft plus backup files, use updraft plus to restore your site... That's the easiest manual method of migrating a wp site, since all the backups are handled by updraft automatically 🙂

@thanewest make sure you @Tickertin otherwise they will not know that you replied.

---

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Getting Started

Yeah they have a site migration utility once you purchase the hosting plan, so moving your existing website from wp.com to Godaddy should be a very simple task, just follow the on page steps and tutorials for their migration service once you purchase the plan.

Alternatively, you could install "updraft plus" plugin - use the plugin to backup your entire existing website's files, buy the hosting plan, connect the domain to the new hosting plan, login to your fresh install of wp on the new hosting account, install updraft plus there, upload your updraft plus backup files, use updraft plus to restore your site... That's the easiest manual method of migrating a wp site, since all the backups are handled by updraft automatically 🙂

@thanewest wrote:

@thanewest make sure you @Tickertin otherwise they will not know that you replied.

---

View solution in original post

@justingodfrey Oh I see, well that's not very intuitive 😕