cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

502 Bad gateway when using HTTPS on a private registered domain

When I access my site through non-SSL url, it works fine but when I use https, it shows the "Your connection is not private" error but I've already installed a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate for this domain but it somehow doesn't reflect. When I click the link to proceed to my site (unsafe), the 502 bad gateway error shows up:

502 (Bad Gateway) Error

Something's gone wrong, but it's likely temporary. 
Try refreshing the page, but it'd be best to try back later.
This page error has the following parameters:
clientIP - ::ffff:121.96.26.5
gatewayHostname - starkgate-p02
originDomain - www.taskjugglers.com
resolvedOriginDomain - taskjugglers.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Re: 502 Bad gateway when using HTTPS on a private registered domain

I am badly needing help on this. Anyone?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

I'd suggest taking a look at the SSL test here: https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html?hostname=taskjugglers.com.  It's showing several errors.  I'd recommend making sure you've removed any old SSL's you've installed, and then reinstall the updated & current one.  

If you continue to have issues, I'd suggest making sure your current hosting plan supports that type of SSL and then contacting Let's Encrypt for further assistance.  

Sir when i used the ssl checker for my origin domain: www.dinidigitalagency.com there were no errors. However i am still getting this error everytime. i have to refresh the page like 10 times before getting access. its frustrating

Screenshot_19.png

please help. thanks. 

I have the same issue so I am interested in the reply. Thanks

New

I have the same issue with my website not having the "https" thing. I have no idea how to get the certificate in the right place.

New

i use website builder so my host is godaddy and they are the ones responsbile for keeping ssl certs updated. my domain and website are not expired so my ssl shouldnt be either but i am having the same issue.

Why is this issue marked as "SOLVED!" It's not. I'm having the same issue and Godaddy tech support says it can't be them because I have Managed WordPress. "It must be a theme issue." Theme authors confirmed it's not a theme issue but a server issue, and that only makes sense. The server is trying to identify the client IP address and returning a 502 Bad Gateway error, with "clientIP - ::ffff:", which is an old system. SSL Checker says my domain is just peachy. So, c'mon, Godaddy, dig in and post a real fix!

I called Godaddy tech support again and another tech told me it was the McAfee Trusted Site that was the usual source of 502 errors. I turned that off and 502 errors stopped. That's probably because I added that before my SSL cert.

My site doesn’t have the McAfee Trusted site badge but it does have the GoDaddy Trusted Seal so not sure it would be the issue as well.  I did find some troubleshooting on the Cloudflare site and I whitelisted all the IP addresses that Cloudflare uses and so far I haven’t had the bad gateway happen...YET.  I will follow up with this thread if this is the fix for my site.

Here’s the Cloudflare source: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171916-Error-521

New

I don't have SSL and I had this problem when I activated McAfee Secure.

I removed McAfee Secure and there is no problem.

New

Wow this is still an issue. This is a cloud performance/configuration problem . I have been having this issue on and off for two days now. Has nothing to do with any plugins or anything I did. I am tired of calling support. You guys obviously haven't fixed this and its MONTHS this has been going on.

How did you turn off mcafee to stop the 502 error please help

New

why i got this message?

Solution

If there's a downvote button, I would rather click on it for you than having your reply as the solution. This is an example of a very unhelpful and a very definition of slacking off. I really don't appreciate your effort. By the way, it's been years since I posted this issue and it was because of the McAffee security that caused the error. The technical support fixed it after having this error for two months of not listening and attending to this issue, and after more than 3 calls and numerous technical support chats that keeps on blaming the Let's Encrypt certificate for the error and kept on offering their own SSL, and additional cost for their greediness. No thanks, anyway, but I hope there's a way to remove this as the accepted solution.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jazkiez. Thanks for posting. A reply can be marked as a solution by the original post author or someone on the Community management staff. A staff member might choose a reply as a solution on behalf of a post author if the thread appears to have been abandoned. I'm not sure which scenario occurred in this situation. However, I've marked your answer as a solution as well since it seems it's relevant to the thread. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.