cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Host with Multiple IP Address?

Hi,

I have purchased Premium DNS from godaddy. My Domain is hosted in my private cloud, backed with two static ip address. I have added my Primary ip address to the DNS record in godaddy.  I want to add the secondary ip address, so that if my primary static ip fails the requests can be fulfilled without failing. 

Please let me know if this is possible.

4 REPLIES 4
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: A Host with Multiple IP Address?

@subbulearntron yes, you can.

You can add another A record that points to the other IP you have. That's called Round Robin DNS.

However, note that there are some drawbacks of that setup. You can check this Wikipedia page for more info.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

I saw some article regarding this. My worry is at a given point of time any one of the IP address will be active. What will happen if the dns cache caches the ip which is not active? 

Helper VI
Helper VI

@subbulearntron in that case, I guess it will try with one IP and if that doesn't work, try the next one.

However, if you are looking into have the most uptime, you should consider making a high availability cluster.

I have made one, a while back, using heartbeat.

There's also a project specialized in that, it's called Linux-HA.

And you have also step-by-step guides online.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

I have 3 IPs in three servers with same domain name, I need always find the first ip when dns resolution, secondary and tertiary ip will be resolved only when the primary or secondary down.