cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Auto Renew Length & Issues

Why is there no way for me to know how long a domain will Auto-Renew for?  Its borderline deceptive.
I'm looking and it won't tell me what the Auto-renew term is set to for my domains. If I try to change the autorenew term from whatever it is, it requires payment.

I've been with Godaddy for over 10 years and have owned many domains in that time, giving Godaddy thousands in business, not only personally but for businesses I've run for others in their accounts that I setup.    I just had a domain renew for 5 years. Its the only one that ever did that. I guess I bought it for that long intially, probably some deal  5 years ago.  But in the 10+ years I've always just auto-renewed for 1 or 2 years.  Of course I want a refund, but it is passed the 5 day refund policy.  So I went in to check to make sure this doesn't happen again, but for some reason Godaddy wants this information to be a secret from its customers and as I said above, I can't change it unless I pay for it on the spot.

The whole thing stinks...not to mention that I can't get a refund on something that auto-charged to my account and I just found out when I got my credit card statement now.  Yes, I received the notification emails, but I wrongly assumed the domain was renewing for 1 year like all the others, so I didn't read the email. My fault yes, but since Godaddy makes it impossible from their portal to know this, where does it leave a customer.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

OK, I had the same issue and realized that you can stop the auto-renewal anytime by following this steps ( https://www.godaddy.com/help/turn-off-auto-renew-20008 😞 

1. In your account manager, click the Account settings menu, and then select Renewals & Billing.
  2. Select the products you want to use, and then click Cancel Renewal.
  3. Confirm that you want to cancel your renewal by clicking, Cancel renewal again.

Then you will have the option to renew for as many years you want. Just one important thing to remember: DON'T FORGET TO PAY WHEN YOUR SERVICE CONTRACT IS DUE

View solution in original post

@blackmodjo wrote:

And i am talking about how i can see the auto - renew period

@blackmodjo Please see the screenshot here: https://prnt.sc/jr5do6

This can be done in your domain manager.

---

36 REPLIES 36
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @plans2prosperu,

If a plan is set to auto renew then it is the full plan that is auto renewing. So if that original plan was for say two years, then logically when and if it auto renews, it will be for two years. Because what's happening is that it's simply repeating the process.

But if you look carefully at your plans it will tell you when the renewal date is due! As well as the unread Godaddy emails............

Anybody can see when your domain is set to expire too, with a simple WHOIS search, and from this deduce your auto renew plan for your domain.

The "GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor" doesn't answer the question at all.

This really is casting GoDaddy in a very bad light.

I've looked at several threads on this issue now and not one has an official answer from GoDaddy.

What's the point of this community. Anything?

Can someone answer this - WHERE do you go to set auto-renew to ONE year only.

Simple question. Where is the answer?

If no answer, I turn off auto renew on every domain - as others have said they will - and GoDaddy probably loses business. So it might be a good idea to actually answer.

Same here for me. I feel like I was decepted by this company. I had manually renewed my domain every year for 1-year term until last year I set it auto-renew with the thought that it would be renewed the same way.

Last night I got charged for 3-yr term. I rang up the customer support guy in Auckland, New Zealand and got the same answer. He said I'd either go with it or get the full 3-yr refund with my domain canceled. Of course, they know for sure no customer will risk their domain and time.

They are all trained to diverse the customer with the 'logical to get renewed with initial set up' excuse.

How could that be logical when a domain had been renewing for 1yr term for several times and once it is set to auto renewal, the owner gets charged for 3 year term? I feel like GoDaddy just sit there wait for you to turn on that bloody auto renewal to rip you off.

Dear GoDaddy, this is cheating. Your business wont last this way.

Sorry for the ranting guys but I feel your pain. I was just a bit luckier I guess.

I just noticed the same thing.  All my prior auto-renews had been for one year.  Suddenly, they are being renewed for two years (at least it wasn't for 10 years!).  One thing I noticed is that if you click "renew now" on the renewal email, it will give you the option to renew for only one year.  But SHAME on GoDaddy for this deceptive practice.  I am now looking for a new domain host.

Yes, I agree. I am not happy with the invisible cloak that has been added to disrupt attempts to control auto renew and the fact people are not getting feedback about that. Not good GoDaddy! This Daddy just might Go away.

@StuartRC wrote:

The "GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor" doesn't answer the question at all.

This really is casting GoDaddy in a very bad light.

I've looked at several threads on this issue now and not one has an official answer from GoDaddy.

What's the point of this community. Anything?

Can someone answer this - WHERE do you go to set auto-renew to ONE year only.

Simple question. Where is the answer?

If no answer, I turn off auto renew on every domain - as others have said they will - and GoDaddy probably loses business. So it might be a good idea to actually answer.

Same problems here. GoDaddy is very good and reliable technically. However, marketing and billing are dishonest, always adding things I did not ask for, always charging for longer than signed up for, deliberately making changes difficult or impossible. They are only hurting themselves with these misguided policies. Wake up, GoDaddy! You have a good service. Get rid of the flim flam and your reputation will rise to the top instead of staying in the gutter.

Just ran into the exact same issue. All my 1 year renewals have been changed to 2 year without my authorization or consent. Just got dinged on a domain I had planned to cancel and forgot to turn off auto renew.

Spoke to chat support, they claimed *I* made the changes, and that they couldn't make those changes without my PIN.

Waiting to speak to a manager now.

OK, I had the same issue and realized that you can stop the auto-renewal anytime by following this steps ( https://www.godaddy.com/help/turn-off-auto-renew-20008 😞 

1. In your account manager, click the Account settings menu, and then select Renewals & Billing.
  2. Select the products you want to use, and then click Cancel Renewal.
  3. Confirm that you want to cancel your renewal by clicking, Cancel renewal again.

Then you will have the option to renew for as many years you want. Just one important thing to remember: DON'T FORGET TO PAY WHEN YOUR SERVICE CONTRACT IS DUE

Another way to get around the 2+ year auto-renew is to leave it on, and a few days before it auto-renews, pay manually. In the shopping cart you can switch the duration to 1 year. Auto-renew will remain at 2+ years (impossible to change it), but after manual payment for 1 year it is moved a year down the road. That way auto-renew can be kept as an insurance policy, just in case.   

I am absolutely disgusted with this policy of Godaddy to auto renew for ten years. I just received their new bill for $291 dollars for ten years of domain auto-renew. I told them I did not need ten years nor did I have the funds to pay that amount. Still, they refused to change the term to 5 years and refund me the difference. I asked them to show me the agreement of ten years and they said that "they didn't have the agreement because it was an old agreement" 

They said the only way for me to get a refund was to cancel my domain and then they would refund me. In other words I would have to take my site down and then wait another 60 days to reinstall it. 

I have cancelled all my auto renewals to avoid this abuse again. 

I had the same experience.  We used to be able to physically change the auto renew time period.  I love godaddy -- but this is a very unfair business practice and makes Godaddy much more of a pain in the neck to use.  First time I ever left a godaddy chat disgusted with the company.

Yup, I'm done with GoDaddy. I'm transferring out the remaining 12 domains I have. 

One of our domains expired today, 7/26 even though it was set to auto-renew. Why did this happen and how can we prevent this from happening again? It is a forwarding domain so it messed up the forwarding and we had to renew the domain manually for it to work again.

I am having the same problem. Since September 17, 2018, none of my products and domains (5 total in that time frame) are auto-renewing. Although each product/domain generated a Auto-Renew email notification 5 days in advance saying that is was going to auto-new on a specific date, they didn't. Each one in my account has showed "EXPIRED". To make matters worse, I have not received an email saying that the product/domain has expired. For one who travels, I don't want to have to check each time to see if GoDaddy has done its job.

I have called in numerous times and get a different story each time. With over GoDaddy 160+ products/domains, I shouldn't have to check every time to see if these items have auto-newed. Everything is set to renew for one year and all are on one credit card. How much simpler could it be. I am trying to give GoDaddy my money in exchange for renewing my products/domains. Why is this even an issue????????  

New

Happened to me too - GoDaddy makes it impossible to change renewal length!

This is very frustrating and makes one want to look elsewhere for domain hosting.  They are clearly deceptively trying to make it very difficult to manage so they can extort the maximum possible.  Plus I was just trying to access the chat and that is not available to discuss.  This business approach may work in the short run but is destructive to the long-term success of their business.  Oddly enough, I'm also the CEO of a company with well over 200 domains with them and numerous other services.  I'll have our IT guys look into other domain providers now that I have a better understanding of their business practices.

I just got screwed by this too. I bought a domain name many many many years ago and it used to auto-renew for one year. Then in 2008 I renewed a domain for two years. Every year after it would auto-renew for 1 year. Until this year, they changed the settings and hid how often domains auto renew. So now, my domain auto-renewed for two years. None of the emails told me that was going to happen.

I called support and got the "our hands our tied...these are the rules" business. This is stupid.

I am going to move all my domains over to a competitor.

Yes VERY deceptive. I've renewed manually, but apparently, and without letting you know, the same initial term applies to auto-renewals. You will even get an email, and in the email, it's not stating the term will be for anything but 1 year. In my estimation, this is done intentionally to deceive. The claim that they cannot resolve the situation after you complain is deceitful as well, they attempt to hide behind registrar rules claiming that they can only fully cancel the domain in order to refund, but that's  just a smoke screen, obviously they can refund for over billing, it's their mistake not yours, and it has nothing to do with the registrar rules.

I'm done with these guys and will be moving my domain elsewhere. 

This is not "borderline" deceptive, this is straight out deceptive.

It just happened to me last week.  A couple of domains that I am no longer using auto renewed, and for three years each! I had just registered them for ONE year, so why would Godaddy auto-renew for 3???!!!  Where is the logical explanation for this?

Well... I contacted support and they pretended to see how they could help.  In the end he pointed out their refund policies...

Standard Terms

• New Registration                      5 Days (120 Hours)  
  • Auto-Renewal (one-year)           45 Days (1080 hours)
  • Auto-Renewal (multiple-year)     5 Days (120 Hours)
  • Manual Renewal                       5 Days (120 Hours)

Now, wouldn't you think that if you renew for multiple years, you would have a longer period of time to ask for a refund? Why would Godaddy allow 45 days for a one year renewal and 5 days for a multiple year renewal?  Why would Godaddy auto renew my domains for three years if they were just one year old?  Who decided that three was the best choice for the customer?

I'll tell you how they chose three... Three gets them $60 and only 5 days to ask for a refund (and even within those 5 days, I am not sure if I'd get refunded). 

The more I started looking into this, searching online for Godaddy reviews and renewal issues, the more I wonder, how much money does Godaddy make for unsolicited auto renewals?

They have to get all the money out of you as soon as possible before you can change your mind.

I have been a customer for over 10 years, and I can also tell you how deceptive it looks by witnessing how the system has changed. I was very happy with Godaddy and haven't even looked at competitors, I recommended them and used them for every project or even for every crazy idea that I came up with. It was low risk and and extra buck for Godaddy, win-win.

But I have always been able to choose which domains auto renewed and for how long.  There used to be a drop down, no fuss, clear, simple, and I could just chose, and that's it.

They even sent like a million emails reminding you that it was urgent to renew because 3 months from today your domain would expire. 

Why would they make it so difficult to choose if you want to auto renew or not and for how long?

They had it working perfectly. Now you can't, you just can't. Take it or leave it.

Well... anyone can see why they changed it... $$$$$$$$ How much money are they making on unwanted auto renewals?  And long auto renewals! For me it was 3 years for two domains that I no longer have a use for.  I've read other customers mention 5 or 10 years! How much money are they making off of that!

Good thing is that people are starting to see that if Godaddy says "take it or leave it", they are starting to leave it.

I'd like to know if people here can recommend other providers that are more transparent about these things because I am definitely moving out all my domains.

@maleli wrote:

This is not "borderline" deceptive, this is straight out deceptive.

It just happened to me last week.  A couple of domains that I am no longer using auto renewed, and for three years each! I had just registered them for ONE year, so why would Godaddy auto-renew for 3???!!!  Where is the logical explanation for this?

Well... I contacted support and they pretended to see how they could help.  In the end he pointed out their refund policies...

Standard Terms

• New Registration                      5 Days (120 Hours)  
  • Auto-Renewal (one-year)           45 Days (1080 hours)
  • Auto-Renewal (multiple-year)     5 Days (120 Hours)
  • Manual Renewal                       5 Days (120 Hours)

Now, wouldn't you think that if you renew for multiple years, you would have a longer period of time to ask for a refund? Why would Godaddy allow 45 days for a one year renewal and 5 days for a multiple year renewal?  Why would Godaddy auto renew my domains for three years if they were just one year old?  Who decided that three was the best choice for the customer?

I'll tell you how they chose three... Three gets them $60 and only 5 days to ask for a refund (and even within those 5 days, I am not sure if I'd get refunded). 

The more I started looking into this, searching online for Godaddy reviews and renewal issues, the more I wonder, how much money does Godaddy make for unsolicited auto renewals?

They have to get all the money out of you as soon as possible before you can change your mind.

I have been a customer for over 10 years, and I can also tell you how deceptive it looks by witnessing how the system has changed. I was very happy with Godaddy and haven't even looked at competitors, I recommended them and used them for every project or even for every crazy idea that I came up with. It was low risk and and extra buck for Godaddy, win-win.

But I have always been able to choose which domains auto renewed and for how long.  There used to be a drop down, no fuss, clear, simple, and I could just chose, and that's it.

They even sent like a million emails reminding you that it was urgent to renew because 3 months from today your domain would expire. 

Why would they make it so difficult to choose if you want to auto renew or not and for how long?

They had it working perfectly. Now you can't, you just can't. Take it or leave it.

Well... anyone can see why they changed it... $$$$$$$$ How much money are they making on unwanted auto renewals?  And long auto renewals! For me it was 3 years for two domains that I no longer have a use for.  I've read other customers mention 5 or 10 years! How much money are they making off of that!

Good thing is that people are starting to see that if Godaddy says "take it or leave it", they are starting to leave it.

I'd like to know if people here can recommend other providers that are more transparent about these things because I am definitely moving out all my domains.

@maleli @plans2prosperu @Grumpy4 @fuzzyweasel @yogani I'm not really sure how you all think this is deceptive. When you registered the domain name you indicated that the domain name would be setup to auto-renew. Let's explore the flip side of this, I see people posting on this message board almost daily about how they lost their domain name because they didn't renew it and opted out of auto-renew. It's a double edged sword, now you say that its deceptive to have the domain renewed for you? There are two very easy solutions:

1) Contact Godaddy for a refund for the renewal and have them cancel the domain.

2) THERE IS a way to indicate the length that you would like the domain renewed. In your domain manager click the checkbox next to the appropriate domain, then click on "renew" in the upper menu, then click on "auto-renew settings", at the bottom you can indicate if you'd like auto-renew on or off AND how many years the domain should be renewed. I encourage everyone to simply LOOK in their account before accusing of deceptive practices...usually the solution is right in front of you.

----