cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Backorder capture failed, manual reg worked?

I tried backordering a domain that was pending delete last week. It became available yesterday, but the backorder capture failed. This morning I was able to manually register that domain name, despite my still having the backorder open.

What gives? Isn't the whole idea of a backorder to obtain a domain name when it becomes available, without having to manually register or monitor the availability? 

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Backorder capture failed, manual reg worked?

@dbrooks wrote:

I tried backordering a domain that was pending delete last week. It became available yesterday, but the backorder capture failed. This morning I was able to manually register that domain name, despite my still having the backorder open.

What gives? Isn't the whole idea of a backorder to obtain a domain name when it becomes available, without having to manually register or monitor the availability? 

@dbrooks Unfortunately Godaddy's backordering service needs work. This same thing has happened to me.

---

And what, GoDaddy just hides behind their no refunds policy, while completely not delivering the service promised? I completely get that's due to the speculative nature of a domain backorder- if someone else had registered it.

But this is entirely 'We suck at this, pay us anyway." Pretty sure that's fraud.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @dbrooks. Thanks for posting. To clarify, there is no guarantee that a backorder will successfully capture a domain. This is because more than one backorder can be purchased for a domain. Also, backorders can be purchased from other registrars as well. However, you should be able to reuse the backup for any other domain you wish to backorder. For more information, please take a look at this article

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Solution

This is not a solution. Being unable to capture a domain that is already under GoDaddy's control, backordered with GoDaddy and failing is just a cash grab. There were no exceptions, no one else registered it and it didn't go to auction, when the backorder failed I WAS THE ONE WHO MANUALLY REGISTERED IT. There is no reason for a failure to have occurred. 

I'll be migrating my domain registration services elsewhere from this point on.