cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Bombarded by third parties

Are you are selling our emails to third parties... I have recently bought dozens of domains from godaddy and suddenly my email is bombarded by hundreds of emails from third parties most probably connected in some way to godaddy... definitely I am transferrIng all of my domains away from godaddy before renewal. And they don’t have an email address where you can complain about this. Surely I am reporting this to the US and UK authorities for leaking personal data. 

[Language contrary to our guidelines has been removed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Demosant 

Then 100% this is part of the onboarding process - as I said Domains by Proxy IS GoDaddy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domains_by_Proxy 

GoDaddy owns Domains by Proxy - they recently have better integrated the domain privacy into the GoDaddy dashboard where as previously when you purchased the privacy you had to log directly into domains by proxy to update your information. 

If you do a whois for any of your domains you will see the whois information specifically says Domains by Proxy.

Without seeing the actual full content of the email, it's hard to say why the system would generate 1 email per domain, but I am assuming it has to do with how the system / management is setup.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User IV

@Demosant 

First off I understand that you are upset by getting lots of emails. Please understand we are end users here in the community, and although you "masked" your language there is still no need for that.

That being said, GoDaddy does not sell domain name lists / contacts. If you google for Domain Registered in last 24 hours - There is a service that you can get list of daily registered domains - also renewed / expired / etc.

There are call centers in India and other parts of the world that have purchased these services and will call / email to sell their design services.

I have received calls within 24 hours of purchasing a domain for a client trying to sell me design services and I tell them that they are calling a web designer.

Even with Private WHOIS information, unless you specifically tell the systems to send email to trash, Private WHOIS is just mask for your actual contact information, people can still email to those addresses. 

Now I would agree that what they are doing could violate CAN-SPAM rules, they often send them as direct messages (or at least give the appearance) so therefore it maybe harder to say that they are "spamming"

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I apologize for the language but you can understand when I have registered about 90 domains, what is going on in my email account.

Demos

@Demosant 

I hear you - If you have private registration on the domains there is an option on each domain (in the domain management where you can view the whois information) to tell it to send mail to trash if sent to the masked domains.

I will tell you and from others I've spoken to, I believe many of the call centers across the world are still closed / limited staff as I've registered a couple domains over the last 90 days and I haven't gotten the calls selling web design services. 

At $20/month for the new domain registrations list they can blast out emails / phone calls  - and probably only need to sell a couple of sites to cover their costs of calling / emailing 1000s of people.

There are folks like yourself that are purchasing bulk domains either for investment purposes or for other projects and there are the folks that are purchasing a domain for the first time and are not technical and not knowing about websites and these 3rd parties try to sell them everything under the sun.

It unfortunate - but I guess that it is the same way I get calls from the "warranty dept" for a leased car that is brand new.

You are wrong. Below is an email I have received from the company that has been sending emails for all the new domains we have purchased.

"XXXXXXXX by XXXXXX" is a private registration provider that provides whois privacy for registrants of domain names purchased through GoDaddy. ----------

Do you understand now what these guys are doing? They take advantage of confidential information, which we have paid for GoDaddy to protect, to sell us their services. We are reporting them as well as GoDaddy to the authorities in the US and Europe.

@Demosant 

Domains by Proxy IS GoDaddy - All domains purchased through GoDaddy today come with basic privacy. Basic Privacy is where if you do a whois lookup anywhere except via the GoDaddy Whois portal it will block the information.

Then there is the paid privacy which GoDaddy for years called Domains by Proxy and is now Private Registration

So in that case I would say there are 2 reasons I can think of that you got these emails

1) You purchased the domain privacy with your domains and these emails are part of the on boarding process

2) You only took the basic and it's part of an upsell.

I'm more inclined to say that it is the first that you purchased the domain privacy and this is part of the onboarding experience.

Again GoDaddy has not / does not sell / release domain information and the emails you received are legitimate  emails

I have bought the full domain protection for each domain, more than 80 domains in total. But let’s find out when the lawyers come in... I am going to chase this until everything is revealed to the public on how GoDddy works. Full domain protection is there for a reason. Thank you.

@Demosant 

Then 100% this is part of the onboarding process - as I said Domains by Proxy IS GoDaddy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domains_by_Proxy 

GoDaddy owns Domains by Proxy - they recently have better integrated the domain privacy into the GoDaddy dashboard where as previously when you purchased the privacy you had to log directly into domains by proxy to update your information. 

If you do a whois for any of your domains you will see the whois information specifically says Domains by Proxy.

Without seeing the actual full content of the email, it's hard to say why the system would generate 1 email per domain, but I am assuming it has to do with how the system / management is setup.

View solution in original post