cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change a Domain Name?

I own a domain name and want to change it to something else. It is a fairly new site so I would like to just acquire the new one and let the old one go. Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Can I change a Domain Name?

Hi bahighroller , I hope you are well.  You can change the domain name associated with your Website Builder account. You cannot change the domain name for a free Website Builder account.

Note: You cannot directly change a domain that has a SSL certificate. Instead, the SSL certificate will need to be rekeyed.

If you want to change your domain name , follow these steps.

Zulfiqar Anees | GoDaddy Pro | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb.

Am I not seeing this setting because I am still in my free trial?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bahighroller. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It depends on what you want to change. If you want to change the domain on a GoCentral Website Builder plan, you wouldn't be able to do that unless it is upgraded to a paid plan. You should get this prompt if you try to follow the instructions here

Note: You can also change the domain on other hosting plans and site builders. Those instructions would be different. 

However, if you just mean the domain registration, there isn't a way to change this per se. For example, if you registered mycooldomain.com and you want to change that to myothercooldomain.com, that can't be done. You can register a new domain if the one you want is available. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.