cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Can't change CNAME value

Hello,

i have to change the value @ of CNAME so that it points to my web address, but the thing is that after i change that default @ value to my domain name, it goes back to @.

i am really new to this stuff and i hope you understand my problem. i have also searched for similar topics but none seem to help.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@vytriolynk 

Are you trying to forward your domain to another service??

The way DNS / cname work and is generally setup is that you will have an A @ record which is the root of the domain this will point to an IP address

Then you will have a cname for www which points to @   or in other words, points to the same IP as the A record

Now if let's say you are using a 3rd party service you may point the www to something.domain.com and what I recommend is using the GoDaddy forward and enter www.yourdomain.com

So if I type in yourdomain.com it will forward to www.yourdomain.com which is point to something.domain.com 

Hope that helps answer your question.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@vytriolynk 

Are you trying to forward your domain to another service??

The way DNS / cname work and is generally setup is that you will have an A @ record which is the root of the domain this will point to an IP address

Then you will have a cname for www which points to @   or in other words, points to the same IP as the A record

Now if let's say you are using a 3rd party service you may point the www to something.domain.com and what I recommend is using the GoDaddy forward and enter www.yourdomain.com

So if I type in yourdomain.com it will forward to www.yourdomain.com which is point to something.domain.com 

Hope that helps answer your question.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Yes, thank you for the reply, helped me a lot.

Have a great day.