cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Cant attach domain name to managed wordpress

Hi

This is my first ever Go Daddy website. I have purchased a domain name, and also managed wordpress.

I was doing ok, building a wordpress site, but after a while i decided i didn't like it.

So I noticed that I could create a second wordpress site, so I did, and liked this second one much more.

So i deleted the first site.

However, now my domain doesn't link to my new site. 

On the managed Wordpress page my site says "Action Required.................Add Custom Domain"

When I try to do that, the only domain listed is the temporary domain name wordpress has given the site, which is labeled "Primary"

there is no option to select my own domain name.

If I click "Attach Domain" the only option is to add an external domain.

So, I have screwed up somewhere. 

I tried following these instructions; but I can't see the "use my domain" option anywhere.

"Connect my domain to WordPress

If you built a site using WordPress and you want to use your GoDaddy domain name with it, you'll need to connect your domain to your site.

1. Click a domain name in the list to go to its Domains Settings page:
  2. On the Domains Settings page, next to your domain, click Use My Domain.
  3. Click the Connect button under Connect to an existing site."

Can anyone help my connect my domain name to my wordpress site please?

Many thanks

James

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Cant attach domain name to managed wordpress

@jameswild 

So just to confirm

You had Managed WordPress Site 1 and assigned domain A to it

You then created Managed WordPress Site 2

You then deleted Managed WordPress Site 1 

Now you want to assign domain A to Site 2

Assuming that is all correct - When you go to Managed WordPress -> Site 2 -> Domains -> Attach Domain the domain should show (note: if you already deleted Site 1 it can take about 15 minutes + for the domain to clear out of the GoDaddy system to be available again to assign

If you did not delete Site 1 and you are looking to now assign the domain to Site 2

First you need to switch Site 1 back to the temp domain and remove domain A - then as mentioned you might have to wait about 15 minutes - but can then add the domain to the other site

GoDaddy Pro User - Managing over 300 WP Sites

Hi, thanks for replying,

Yes that is what I am trying to do.

I have already deleted wordpress site 1. I did this on Friday so it's had all week to clear.

However, when I go to Managed WordPress -> Site 2 -> Domains -> Attach Domain, my domain is not showing!

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@jameswild 

You will then need to contact GoDaddy support as they may need to open an issue to get the system to "clear" the domain - It should have done it on it's own, and you are doing all the right steps, it may just be the GoDaddy database system needs a "push" to get the last piece cleared through

GoDaddy Pro User - Managing over 300 WP Sites

Ok thanks, I will.

I thought as much, as I am sure what I am trying to do should be relatively easy.

thanks for your help