cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Changing hosting companies

After I leave one hosting company how long does it take for a change to take effect?  I temporarily changed to forwarding my website to another temporary site until my final website is complete.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II

@mrosback 

Once you change your DNS it is a relatively quick process before the new location is displayed.  In my experience within hours.  It is normal to see the old vs. new bounce back and forth during the initial propagation period of 24-48 hours.    

I always like to wait a full week before cancelling the old hosting.  This way you give more than enough time for everything to propagate across the global network.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Be a voice. Not an echo." ~ Anon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II

@mrosback 

Once you change your DNS it is a relatively quick process before the new location is displayed.  In my experience within hours.  It is normal to see the old vs. new bounce back and forth during the initial propagation period of 24-48 hours.    

I always like to wait a full week before cancelling the old hosting.  This way you give more than enough time for everything to propagate across the global network.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Be a voice. Not an echo." ~ Anon

View solution in original post