Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Changing primary domain for hosting plan

Hi, 

I have a hosting plan example.me, which has two hosted domains:
- example.me (primary domain)

- example-lb.com

I want to change the domain to example-lb.com and even cancel the domain example.me, i don't want it anymore.

When accessing the hosted domains of my hosting settings, i cannot change the primary domain, it's grayed out and disabled. How can i cancel example.me and just use example-lb.com?

Alos note that i cannot anymore contact godaddy live chat support, I have no idea why

Appreciate any help given, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rami_sbaity,

There can be NO secondary domain on an Economy account. If you wish to have 2 domains on the account, you'll need to upgrade to the Deluxe plan.

You need to completely remove the unwanted domain on the account. Make one domain the primary domain. If you're using what you used to consider the add-on, now as the primary, you'll want to REKEY (not revoke) the SSL for the new primary domain. Same SSL, just rekeying for the proper location as the only SSL on that plan. 

If you want the other domain (not the SSL) to direct to the (now) primary domain on the hosting plan, you can simply forward it to this primary domain. One website, one domain on the plan. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @rami_sbaity,

Welcome to the Community!

Changing the primary domain on a hosting plan will depend on what type of hosting you currently have. It will also depend on whether or not you have an SSL already installed on that plan. Please reply with the type of hosting you're using. If you go to "My Products" you can see the plan name. 

Our Chat support is available from 5am-6pm MST (GMT-7), Monday - Friday on our US page: https://www.godaddy.com/help/?countryview=1. Make sure you're accessing chat from this US home page.

Hello, 

Thank you for replying @TLH!

My hosting plan is: Economy Web Hosting Linux with SSL installed

My problem is that my secondary domain is also put under SSL but it's not working.

And the client wants the secondary domain to be the main one with SSL and since godaddy doesn't allow me to have two domains with two SSL pointed on the same hosting I need to get rid of my primary domain and stick with my secondary one.

Thanks, 

Hi @rami_sbaity,

I don't know if you've already resolved this with our customer support team, but saw your message here. If you have an Economy plan, only one domain, one website, will work in that hosting platform. If you wish to host 2 websites (and their SSLs), you'll need to upgrade to a Deluxe plan. If you want to switch the domains and remove the one that you don't need on an Economy plan, You can switch the plan's primary domain, then rekey (not revoke) the single SSL to make it work. 

Hello again, 

Thank you for your reply. I don't think i can change my primary domain in economy hosting, is that correct?

Hello again, 

So I cancelled my SSL for my primary domain, and left it on my secondary domain. Keep in mind that both domains are pointing to the same host.

Now, I only have one SSL active for my secondary domain, and when I access my secondary domain, the SSL is still not working. I have an Economic Linux hosting.

I just need to make the SSL work on my secondary domain, it shouldn't be that hard.

Can anybody help please?

thank you

Hi @rami_sbaity,

There can be NO secondary domain on an Economy account. If you wish to have 2 domains on the account, you'll need to upgrade to the Deluxe plan.

You need to completely remove the unwanted domain on the account. Make one domain the primary domain. If you're using what you used to consider the add-on, now as the primary, you'll want to REKEY (not revoke) the SSL for the new primary domain. Same SSL, just rekeying for the proper location as the only SSL on that plan. 

If you want the other domain (not the SSL) to direct to the (now) primary domain on the hosting plan, you can simply forward it to this primary domain. One website, one domain on the plan. 

View solution in original post