cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Custom domain for an existing private Google site

I followed a dozen different guides on how to set up a custom domain for a google site. I'm pretty certain that I'm missing something with the DNS/CNAME set-up. 

When I put 'www' in the 'host' field I get an error:

There was an error processing your request. Please try again. If this issue continues, contact support.

My site is published at 'https://sites.google.com/view/*name*"  when I put the *name* in the CNAME records I don't get an error in the DNS manager, but the domain mapping doesn't work (it takes me to the default GoDaddy landing page)

Following this steps from Google:

https://support.google.com/sites/answer/9068867?hl=en

Step 1 and Step 3 worked fine.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@andy_wo

That is correct. The reason the google doesn’t tell you that is they don’t know what your current records are so they are just telling you how to set the record you need.
I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Hi @andy_wo,

Welcome to the Community!

Here are some general instructions from both GoDaddy and Google to getting your domain to work with a Google website.

You can use the following directions to update the DNS zone files in your GoDaddy account.

1. Go to your GoDaddy Domain Manager and access that domain's DNS.
  2. Create 4 A Records - all have a "Host" name of "@" (no quotes) and "points to" the following:
  3. Create a new CNAME entry.
  4. Enter the subdomain name, for example, "www".
  5. Type in the HOST name "ghs.googlehosted.com". This will point your URL to your Google site.
  6. Create a forwarding command below the DNS listings in this GoDaddy account
  7. Forward your domain to itself. For example, yourdomain.com should be forwarded to http://yourdomain.com. (Do not choose masking for this forward.)
  8. This should create a forwarding IP address in the A record of the DNS.

Complete the setup at Google using the following as a guide.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@andy_wo 

Without knowing your actual domain it's hard to say - but the default DNS zone from GoDaddy already has a WWW record - you should be able to just edit that record and then you'll be good to go.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

So for 'www' I should replace the '@' with  ghs.googlehosted.com ? 

In all the walkthroughs it was always mentioned to just add a new CNAME and the error in the DNS manager is also pretty vague (could just say something like 'www' already exists or something similar)

Now I get this error on Google sites. 

This is the entry in the dns manager 

andy_wo_1-1579784388778.png

What am I missing here? 

edit: Now the error is gone ... looks like it needed a lot of time to process this. 

@andy_wo

That is correct. The reason the google doesn’t tell you that is they don’t know what your current records are so they are just telling you how to set the record you need.

Hi @andy_wo,

Welcome to the Community!

Here are some general instructions from both GoDaddy and Google to getting your domain to work with a Google website.

You can use the following directions to update the DNS zone files in your GoDaddy account.

1. Go to your GoDaddy Domain Manager and access that domain's DNS.
  2. Create 4 A Records - all have a "Host" name of "@" (no quotes) and "points to" the following:
  3. Create a new CNAME entry.
  4. Enter the subdomain name, for example, "www".
  5. Type in the HOST name "ghs.googlehosted.com". This will point your URL to your Google site.
  6. Create a forwarding command below the DNS listings in this GoDaddy account
  7. Forward your domain to itself. For example, yourdomain.com should be forwarded to http://yourdomain.com. (Do not choose masking for this forward.)
  8. This should create a forwarding IP address in the A record of the DNS.

Complete the setup at Google using the following as a guide.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support