cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

DNS Forwarding

We have a forwarding setup for a subdomain to a 3rd party website working for users outside our main office.  However, this is not working correctly at our main office.  At the main office, we have a Sonicwall as our firewall and Windows DNS servers handling internal DNS.

When we attempt to use the forwarding fqdn the browser is not being redirected properly.  I believe I have to make a change in our internal DNS, I just dont know the correct change to be made.

maintenance.company.org forward to company.gofmx.com

Primary domain - Company.local

other domain - Company.org

Internal Windows DNS:

company.local - Primary DNS Zone

company.org - Secondary DNS Zone

Do I need to create a cname, A record?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: DNS Forwarding

incase my post didn't quite make sense I have rewritten it.

Trying to forward maintenance.company.org to company.company1.com. 

We own company.org with Godaddy but do not own company.company1.com and have setup DNS forward for maintenance.company.org to go to company.company1.com website.  External from our domain this works no issues.  However, in our domain, this does not work.

The domain name is Company.local

Internal DNS servers is dc1.company.local and dc2.company.local

with forward lookup zones of company.local and company.org

So internal when trying to access maintenance.company.org its looking in our internal DNS and not finding anything and stopping there.

What magical setting do I need to enter into our internal DNS for it to work correctly?

Things I have tried...

If I ping company.company1.com from outside the domain I get x.x.x.x ip address.  I have tried to create an A record for maintenance.company.org with that x.x.x.x ip website does not load.

If I ping maintenance.company.org from outside the domain I get y.y.y.y ip address.   I have tried to create an A record for maintenance.company.org with that y.y.y.y ip website does not load.