cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

DNS Settings for Google Sites

I have a google site that I wish to use my domain with. This was working fine until 2 things happened. Firstly the site was changed from a google 'classic' site to their new sites. This meant having to update the DNS settings to allow google to verify I owned the domain I wished to have pointed to the site address.

I tried to add to the DNS the requested settings to allow domain ownership to be verified (https://www.google.com/webmasters/verification/verification?domain=www.vintage-equestrian.co.uk), and got it wrong, managing to delete all the settings.

I now need to correct this so that when someone visits my domain they arrive at the google site.

Current DNS Setting are:

Records

Last updated 12/09/2018 08:00
Type Name Value TTL Actions
A@184.168.131.241600 seconds 
NS@ns71.domaincontrol.com1 Hour 
NS@ns72.domaincontrol.com1 Hour 
SOA@Primary nameserver: ns71.domaincontrol.com.1 Hour 
TXT@google-site-verification=4Ps_efKjo7fwrMbzWj0xJXIy5uiKypZLiGwyLg-qFV01 Hour

The "A" record was added when I tried to use the forwarding setting in the DNS manager screen.

The "TXT" record is what I added following google's instructions.

Right now my domain cannot be found.all attempts to visit it fail. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Re: DNS Settings for Google Sites

Sorry the message lost the table when posted. Here are the current DNS records:

A @ 184.168.131.241 600 seconds
NS @ ns71.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
NS @ ns72.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
SOA @ Primary nameserver: ns71.domaincontrol.com. 1 Hour
TXT @ google-site-verification=4Ps_efKjo7fwrMbzWj0xJXIy5uiKypZLiGwyLg-qFV0 1 Hour

New

(1) I have setup up according to Godaddy's instruction to add in Type A record to the ip address "

BUT Later when I logged in back it changed or replaced with "184.168.131.241".  What is this guy "

A@184.168.131.241600 seconds

" doing  in DNS management record? It wasnt there before and suddently emerge and looks like its going to get stuck there forever without the (pen) edit or delete button.  

(2) When I verify the DNS on google the name of the domain changes from 

"mnuzone.com" to "mnu zoneS" which wasnt the DNS I registered. The domain that I register for was mnuzone.com.

Its been a few days now and I can park the domain to google sites.

Please help.

New

Correction : Its been a few days now and I can 't park the domain to google sites

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ranger_24 . Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It looks like you've been able to resolve this issue. I'm seeing a website when I visit vintage-equestrian.co.uk. If so, please consider following up here with the steps you took to resolve the issue. Others may benefit from what you've experienced. Thanks! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Solution

Thanks JesseW but you are a little confused.

@mnu did not raise the issue related to vintage-equestrian.co.uk, I (ranger_24) did. You can see my site because I moved to another host as I could not get GoDaddy DNS working.

So the steps I took to resolve this issue was to transfer to a host who could help and not waste any more time with GoDaddy
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ranger_24  You're right. My mistake. Sorry to hear you decided to move on but glad you were able to find a solution. 

@mnu The IP 184.168.131.241 belongs to our forwarding service. The IP 50.63.202.32 is for our parked pages. When I force the domain (locally) to use the forwarding IP, I see an error related to HTTPS. That, along with your other DNS that I can see, suggests that you should probably remove both our forwarding service and the parked IP address. Then, you can add an A Record that points to the IP address(es) that Google supplies. If you can do that, it should get your site pointed to Google. 

Note: You can not use our forwarding service with HTTPS. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I am having the same difficulty as @Ranger_24 .  I cannot verify my domain name that I hold through GoDaddy with the Google site that was changed from a classic site to the new one. I have tried every option several times over the last several weeks and it still doesn't verify. It worked great until Google changed their stuff.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @fcspatti Welcome to GoDaddy Community! The most common causes of what you're seeing are misconfigured DNS or DNS propagation. However, without more information, it's hard to guess at what's occurring. If you'd like to share your domain name and the records you're trying to validate, that may help others in the community offer suggestions. 

New

I am also have the same issue that I cannot get my converted google site to direct to my domain at GoDaddy. I have followed the instructions on Google's page to add the TXT value but it doesn't work. I have tried to add the CNAME record as the alternate option provided on Google's site but I'm getting "An unxpected error occurred." message when I attempt to do that.  The domain I'm trying to verify is www.bayouairgunclub.com

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jwylie The most common cause of what you're seeing is a misconfigured record. When creating the CNAME, make sure that the value you use for the host/name field does not include your full domain name. For example. If you have cooldomain.com and you want a CNAME for _xyz123verify.cooldomain.com, you'd just enter "_xyz123verify" in the host/name field. If you've done that but it's still not working, feel free to share the CNAME you're trying to add.

New

Thanks @JesseW Google doesn't have that noted on their site. Might want to pass that along to your support folks on the chat as well because the person I was chatting with said everything looked good to him and I need to contact Google.

I'll update the CTEXT record and give that a try.

I'm having a problem with a misconfigured DNS for my website www.teratomawish.org. It is not pointing to the google site. I was able to verify my ownership of site through google sites so that part is ok. I called godaddy support and was told I needed to add an IP address for google sites (which people in googe sites help forums say is not necessary and that godaddaydoesn't understand google sites). Based on this site I added an IP for wwwizer a free redirect service.

https://www.steegle.com/google-sites/how-to/assign-custom-url-domain-personal

The current DNS list I have is pasted below. Any tips on how to get my domain to redirect to the google site would be much appreciated!

a@174.129.25.170600 secondsEdit
cnamewwwghs.googlehosted.com1 HourEdit
cname_domainconnect_domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com1 HourEdit
ns@ns53.domaincontrol.com1 Hour 
ns@ns54.domaincontrol.com1 Hour 
soa@Primary nameserver: ns53.domaincontrol.com.1 Hour 
txt@google-site-verification=KpZT7VB4QhcfVHST8nKdx2dHtmqU7UkHq4bg0Eia2XY1 Week