cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS should point to a AWS S3 hosted page

Hello

I would like my GoDaddy domain to point to a AWS S3 hosted static webpage. Here's what I did:

1. I created 2 buckets on S3 - www.example.com and example.com.

2. The example.com bucket has all my web assets. The other bucket has a redirect to example.com (got this from the AWS S3 docs)

3. In my GoDaddy DNS page, I have pointed my CNAME with Name as 'www' and Value as 'www.example.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com'.

When I go to example.com or www.example.com, no webpage loads.

www.example.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com works just fine though.

I'm relatively new to web-hosting so I was playing around with my 'A' and "NameServer' records and might have deleted or changed something. Currently my Records don't have an 'A' type. When I try to add 'A' to point to www.example.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com it says 'Please enter valid IP address'. S3 doesn't have static IP addresses so not sure what to do.

Any ideas what is wrong? I'm probably missing something basic.

Thanks a lot.

1 REPLY 1
Super User III
Super User III

Re: DNS should point to a AWS S3 hosted page

S3 does not allow you to point a domain directly at it, my suggestion would be to use the domain forwarding in the DNS Managed to forward your domain to the S3 URL - If you want to "hide" the amazon URL, you can enable masking when you setup the forward.

Philip

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community