cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain DNS Issue

I have one website that was running smoothly for about 2 months up until yesterday. My domain is registered from my country provider and its being hosted by GoDaddy. What happened yesterday was, I made a sub-domain from the CPanel to host mailing application, typically mail.mysite.com then 10 min later decided against it, so typically I would just delete the sub-domain. But today when I try to access my main domain "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". I haven't touched anything in the DNS. Also when I try the IP address of my main domain it returns GoDaddy in-progress placeholder instead of my software.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Domain DNS Issue

Hello @Cyberbeing and thank you for reaching out to the GoDaddy community. 

Care to share with us your domain name, so we can see what is going on? That will help us, community members, further troubleshoot your issue. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

My domain is confidential so I cannot publicly share it at the moment.

The DNS isn't much of an issue, it could resolve in a day, however, when I point to my domain IP address it refers me to the Godaddy placeholder instead of my website which is what is kind of worrying.

If it doesn't get resolve in a day or two I'm going to think of changing host as my subscription is about to expire.

Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@Cyberbeing 

Well the error, DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN, the end 'NXDOMAIN' normally means 'nonexistent'.

You won't be able to access your website this way (e.g. http://123.456.789.0) unless:

1. You know the folder where it is located on the server, and your server has mod_userdir or similar extension enabled for the webserver.
  2. The server it's configured to show by default your website when no valid host header is specified.

Depending on your GoDaddy hosting package that might not be an option. You could talk with GoDaddy support to see if you can ask your site via IP only. 

@Nateor @PL281, do you know? I'm assuming I'm correct on this statement!

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Cyberbeing 

As @davisdre317  mentioned the error message you are receiving (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN) would suggest that there is an issue with the DNS

I often use https://dnschecker.org/ to check to see what IP address is reported. 

In terms of accessing the server vs the IP address and getting the GoDaddy landing page (I assume you mean "future home of something cool" or the 404 page with the shirt on a hanger - This would tell me you are on a cPanel server which is a "shared" server and as such you can't get to the site directly by the IP as @davisdre317  said.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@davisdre317 @PL281 

Okay, thanks for input. I will wait and see if the DNS resolves, if not I'll just hit support and see what comes.