cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain Registration Spam

I know whois information is public and blah blah blah. Just wanted to share a telemarketing call I got. When I asked the guy how he got my info he said 'GoDaddy'. When I followed up by asking if GoDaddy sold him the info he said yes. Just sayin'. The company that called was Fitser in Calcutta. Maybe GoDaddy needs to tell these people to get their story straight or something.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Domain Registration Spam

@lewiboy wrote:

I know whois information is public and blah blah blah. Just wanted to share a telemarketing call I got. When I asked the guy how he got my info he said 'GoDaddy'. When I followed up by asking if GoDaddy sold him the info he said yes. Just sayin'. The company that called was Fitser in Calcutta. Maybe GoDaddy needs to tell these people to get their story straight or something.

@lewiboy Godaddy doesn't sell whois data. Its no different then the coupon mailers that you get at your home for grocery stores etc. Also, Godaddy no longer allows for port 43 whois lookups so the only way a spammer can get your information is if they manually go to Godaddy's whois and type in the domain and verify that they are a human. 

---

Well, Justin...SOMEBODY is selling SOMETHING. I've been with GoDaddy for over a decade, and have over 100 domains--some in private registry, some not-- and NOT ONCE have I EVER been bothered with SPAM cell phone calls or SPAM email--Suddenly, after buying a ".mobi" extension for a domain I have had for 8 years, I'm getting very "personal" calls trying to sell me something for my domain--a website, etc. I don't believe in co-inky-dinks---someone has either stopped watching the store and let someone in the backdoor  around security; has sold something and is making a killing on the side--something has changed at GoDaddy. And the "proving your human" for the trollers...really?? Have you no idea what a call center is like in a foreign country? Hundreds of "humans"...in minutes they can troll a lot...

hi everyone. just subscribing.