cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Duplicate IP found

I have my own web hosting company, and for the past few years, I have been able to run my own nameserver on a single IP address with no problem.

Now, I just purchased a new domain name for my client, and when I try to setup the nameservers, it says "Duplicate IP found", and I can no longer change GoDaddy nameservers. In the past, it has never been a problem to have 2 nameservers pointing to the same IP address, but now, the interface will not accept it.

For example, I am trying to change the nameservers to the following:

ns1.nexcess.ca (69.70.40.98)

ns2.nexcess.ca (69.70.40.98)

In the past, this has always been working, but it no longer works. If GoDaddy won't let me do this, I'll have to transfer all my domains to another registrar.

Please help.

Thanks,

J-F Courteau

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AnEducation 

I reached out to CIRA to see if they could provide any additional information about when the 2 unique IP requirement was added. As you can see from the screen capture of the email below, they stated "We do require each name server to have a unique IP." But they couldn't say when this was added.

I hope this helps alleviate any concerns you have about this requirement. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 1.06.42 PM.png

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@AnEducation 

According to https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-ca-domains-4663 you must have unique IPs for Name Servers - This is not a GoDaddy specific limitation but rather something with the .ca domains

I also found this stated on

https://manage.whois.com/kb/node/1027

https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/articles/203858836--CA-domain-policies

Therefore even if you were to transfer this somewhere else you would not be able to do this with .ca domains

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

If you have a look at the following domains on dnschecker.org (for which GoDaddy is the current registrar), you'll notice that they all use the same nameservers:

- courteau.biz

- jeffcourteau.com

- nexcess.ca

- csrng.net

and many more...

All these have ns1.nexcess.ca and ns2.nexcess.ca set as their nameservers, and both these records resolve to 69.70.40.98. It is not a limitation (as per RFC, technical or else), other than a (new) limitation in GoDaddy's UI to edit nameservers. I have done this for the past 10 years without any problem, I can't see why this new limitation would be imposed, other than to have all small hosting providers manage their records through clunky GoDaddy DNS management.

This "community" is totally useless. I had posted a reply saying that this "solution" was not acceptable, that I could use a single IP address for both nameservers in the past and that now GoDaddy has removed this option. But my reply was deleted, and now this "solution" has been accepted, and received a "kudos".

Laughable.

@AnEducation 

As I had previously stated - this change did NOT come from GoDaddy, but rather  from CIRA the agency that manages the .ca domains.

As I had posted in my original reply there were a few other registrars that also stated this.

If you would like to know why this changed, I would reach out to CIRA - https://www.cira.ca/need-help/contact-us

@AnEducation 

1) For some reason the forum system flagged your reply as spam - I have since released it and it is part of the thread

2) This is a specific requirement for .CA domains - only one that you have posted is a .CA domain - my experience is that when the registration agencies implement new requirements there are 2 approaches 

A) Only applies to new domains / updates

B) applies to all and current domains go into a "locked" status until it resolved.

In regards to your statement about small registrars - One of the example links i showed was for OpenSRS  which is also known as TuCows - a very large registrar and to the best of my knowledge they are based in Canada as well.

I understand your frustration, but as previously stated GoDaddy is just implementing the requirements from the Canadian Agency.

@AnEducation 

I reached out to CIRA to see if they could provide any additional information about when the 2 unique IP requirement was added. As you can see from the screen capture of the email below, they stated "We do require each name server to have a unique IP." But they couldn't say when this was added.

I hope this helps alleviate any concerns you have about this requirement. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 1.06.42 PM.png

View solution in original post