cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Error Adding TXT Record for subdomain

I have a CNAME record for a subdomain, called "stage". If I try to add a TXT record for the same host (stage) than I get the following error: "An unexpected error occurred. If this issue continues, contact support". I've called support but I was told that as long as I have a CNAME record with the same name I won't be able to add a TXT for it. That's clearly a Godaddy issue, because DNS just works that way.

Does anyone have encountered a similar issue? I'm having a hard time believing that I should settle with that explanation. After all, I'm just trying to validate my domain with Google Firebase transactional emails.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Error Adding TXT Record for subdomain

I'm having the same problem! I'm trying to enable Google keyword trackers, pretty important...

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @stingus and @spoonpop. As far as I can tell, this is something that would not work with any DNS provider. I found a 3rd party post about this which cites the following rfc1034 rule:

If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be present...

If the host (subdomain) you're trying to make use of can instead be routed to an IP address, then you can try removing the CNAME and creating an A Record for it instead. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks @JesseW, I didn't knew about that CNAME restriction. An A record should do it.