cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Forwarded with Masking Site not Responsive, WordPress Theme

My site has a responsive WP theme. It works fantastic on all devices/resolutions. I have a domain  hosted at GoDaddy and forwarded (with masking) to my WP. The forwarding works, however, when on a mobile device the site is not responsive and loads just like any non-mobile site. I've heard that iframe is the issue. Are there any known solutions to this problem. In the end - I'd like to find the best way to allow users to navigate to my WordPress sites, keeping them from seeing the WP URL. Love to hear best practice that keeps everything working (responsive, SEO, etc.). Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It doesn't sound that you need domain forwarding at all @sbtennispatrons? I don't know what platform your website uses but it seems to me that pointing your domain would work just fine? Check out Hosting Multiple Websites on Your Hosting Account and Add addon domains to host multiple websites.

If you have WordPress or some other CMS there are ways to swap the current domain used. Also check out Changing Your WordPress Domain Name and Forward a domain. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
New

p.s. I'd like not have to pay a fee - which the forwarding allows.

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Looks like you ran into one of the many reasons Forward Domain with Masking should not be used. I don't know why you are masking in the first place but I would say that the way to overcome your issue would be to get rid of the domain masking.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

You are correct it does get rid of the issue however I 'mask' because I'd like to hide the complicated WordPress URL (https://mywordpresssite.wordpress.com/) from the URL address browser window. Is there another way of accomplishing this without masking or paying a monthly fee? Thank you for the prompt response.

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

I have never used the free offering that is available via wordpress.com so Icouldn't really advise you on how to best change the free URL string. They do offer domain mapping for $13/year but I don't know what that includes. They have a lot of premium options that will probably be cheaper than hosting your own WordPress installation.

Advocate VII

Hi @bizpo,

You won't be able to get rid of the mysite.wordpress.com url without paying in some way.  That's the downside of the "free" offerings.  The free wordpress offering is truly a very basic setup and has some inherent limitations like themes and plugins that are available.

The managed wordpress offering at GoDaddy is probably your best solution or as @rd explains, you'll need to pay the domain mapping costs at wordpress.  The situation you present is one of the limitations of the free offering from wordpress.com  If you want to stay at wordpress.com you will definitely have to add paid services to get the most from your site.

The least expensive managed wordpress at GoDaddy is only $3.99 or $4.99/month (the sale price), but the trade offs are well worth this small investment.  I have used wordpress.com and if you pay for the premium services you have a good wordpress platform.  However, you do not have call-in support until you reach a certain tier with wordpress.com.  As far as migrating to GoDaddy, the migration plugin works pretty doggone good for most simple installations. If you call GoDaddy they will even do the migration for you. If you have a complex installation with quite a few plugins and a big database opt for UpdraftPlus.com (I use this plugin extensively). 

WordPress is a bit of a beast when it comes to hosting resources.  With that being said, I don't think there are many, if any, truly good "free" hosting or wordpress services.  My experience has been that there are some good "free" starter services, but the real deal is paid.  I will say that the JetPack plugin from Automattic (wordpress founders) is an excellent free tool for many sites. Note that many of the paid solutions are VERY reasonable.

I've used resources as HostGator, BlueHost, DreamHost, and Cloudways.  All good in their own way, but the updates that GoDaddy has made to their managed wordpress offering in the last year is truly outstanding.  In fact, I've moved all of my installations here (but I have backups for migration in the event of a catastrophe!)

Also, once you have your hosting/domain mapping situation worked out the permalinks settings give you a good bit of flexibility in customizing how your urls are displayed.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Great response James. This helps a bunch!

You're welcome!  If you need some help/tips with any of this let me know!

Later!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Dear James,

I'm trying to setup the same thing with my site hosted on heroku and I have bought the domain achintsatsangi.in already but I'm not able to set it up such that the site remains responsive. On trying to setup the CNAME records, it says that the record already exists but it doesn't show onscreen and on deleting the forwarding the domain disconnects completely.

I'm in a bit of a soup. Please help!!

Achint

So I'm working on a wordpress website at Aparance.website/protest. I bought the domain MarchForScience.NYC on GoDaddy because my host can't have any .nyc domains. 

Knowing this my only solutions were to pay for GoDaddy hosting(which would cost me money) or do the domain forwarding with the masking to hide my original URL.

Now that I'm working on the site I noticed that on the masking domain it doesn't keep the mobile responsiveness of the original site.

I need this site up as quickly as possible because it's for a protest in one month.

Any workaround for this would be greatly appreciated? 

Any fix for this yet?  I need to forward .org domain suffix to .com.  I don't want to rebuild the exact same site on the .org, but the client wants .org to be displayed, not .com.  No good reason but that's what they want.  Is there a way to change the web folder a site points to in GoDaddy?  On many hosting packages, you are able to point the domain to a web folder with the site files, so multiple domains are literally using the the same web files.  I can't find this option in GoDaddy, but this would fix the broken redirection of responsive pages (or I guess it's not broken - it's working as expected but doesn't work).  Is there a way within an htaccess file to somehow make the forward 'smarter';  and not break the responsive code.  If not, redirection and masking probably should be put out to pasture :-).  All sites are responsive these days - it's a mobile-first world in web dev.  Too bad a basic tool such as redirection with masking doesn't work as desired for a responsive site.  Any help would be much appreciated.

It doesn't sound that you need domain forwarding at all @sbtennispatrons? I don't know what platform your website uses but it seems to me that pointing your domain would work just fine? Check out Hosting Multiple Websites on Your Hosting Account and Add addon domains to host multiple websites.

If you have WordPress or some other CMS there are ways to swap the current domain used. Also check out Changing Your WordPress Domain Name and Forward a domain. I hope that helps? 

View solution in original post