cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

GoDaddy Has Remailed Responses to 4 Requests For Authorization Codes (I Didn't Make)

Hi,

Yesterday, I received 2 "Here's Your Authorization code" emails (from GoDaddy) on 2 domains that I didn't actually request.

That made me a bit paranoid so, I changed my login password. However, this morning, I received 2 more emails (on different domains) that I had supposedly requested.

I have no desire to move these domains. Since I've just changed the password, it seems unlikely that someone has hacked my account. Can anyone tell me what might be happening? I don't think someone is logging into my account and making these requests so any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards

Brett

9 REPLIES 9
New

Re: GoDaddy Has Remailed Responses to 4 Requests For Authorization Codes (I Didn't Make)

I received 5 emails when I woke up this morning just like yours. What's going on? Has someone hacked into my account? I've tried calling Goddady but the wait time is more than 30 minutes. And there's no "live chat" and there's nowhere on the godaddy website where I can communicated by email.  This is appalling - a domain name service that refuses to take correspondence by email? Unacceptable customer service.

Solution

Re: GoDaddy Has Remailed Responses to 4 Requests For Authorization Codes (I Didn't Make)

Hi,

I am pretty sure it's as a result of the auDA changing provider over the weekend, this is what I have found out.

This is impacting AU domain:

As not everyone may be aware auDA in the past year put out for tender for someone to operate registry services for the .au name space.  It was AusRegistry for the past 16 years.

AusRegistry did not win the tender this time around so registry services will be moving to Afilias and that handoff is going to happen this weekend  (Just gone)

This MAY have resulted in all the emails everyone is receiving - bad form GoDaddy in not explaining the process.

Your host should have some form of notification IE This one is from VentraIP::

The .AU registry will be migrating from AusRegistry, to the new registry operator, Afilias, starting on the weekend of the 30th.

The migration will begin at 8AM AEST on Saturday morning, and is scheduled to finish at 8PM AEST on Sunday evening.

.AU registrations, renewals, transfers, and domain modifications will not be possible during this time.

Websites will continue to resolve, and DNS will not be affected during this migration.

ATTENTION GODADDY SUPPORT TEAM

Why is it so hard to contact Go Daddy.  Phone support and battery goes flat, due to the long wait.  CHat is offline (most of the time) and there is no email option available!!  Time is money and I do not wish to waste it.

In the last 24 hours I have received 4 emails with authorization numbers for some domains which were NOT requested.  What security does GO DADDY have in place for such easy access to this information?  Disenchanted customer.

Re: ATTENTION GODADDY SUPPORT TEAM

Hi Howard,

I am pretty sure it's as a result of the auDA changing provider over the weekend, this is what I have found out.

This is impacting AU domain:

As not everyone may be aware auDA in the past year put out for tender for someone to operate registry services for the .au name space.  It was AusRegistry for the past 16 years.

AusRegistry did not win the tender this time around so registry services will be moving to Afilias and that handoff is going to happen this weekend  (Just gone)

This MAY have resulted in all the emails everyone is receiving - bad form GoDaddy in not explaining the process.

Your host should have some form of notification IE This one is from VentraIP::

The .AU registry will be migrating from AusRegistry, to the new registry operator, Afilias, starting on the weekend of the 30th.

The migration will begin at 8AM AEST on Saturday morning, and is scheduled to finish at 8PM AEST on Sunday evening.

.AU registrations, renewals, transfers, and domain modifications will not be possible during this time.

Websites will continue to resolve, and DNS will not be affected during this migration.

New

GoDaddy has your email system been hacked or compromised. Since last night have got over 30 repeated emails giving me an authorisation code for my domains which I've not requested. There is no email address contact to advise you and cannot get through to phone support. Fix it!

Thanks SchelleT,

Your explanation seems to be on the right track, as I have other .au domains hosted with providers other than GoDaddy and they did give some notice of this handover from AusRegistry.

After reading your reply, I'm far less anxious about the single authorisation code sent by email without my request, received yesterday.

Rather than waiting the "estimated wait time is...54 minutes" with GD support, I'm taking your message as gospel and sleeping on it.

Thanks!

Sounds about right. I also tried calling GoDaddy and there was a 37 minute wait. Unfortunately, I only had mobile access and a 37 minute call would have been kinda expensive for me.

Incidentally on 1 July, we have also had problems with a large number of our general emails to .au addresses being initially being deferred and then hitting the recipient up to 10 times. These came from different mail servers and different email addresses so, don't think it was our fault.

Hi,

Yes, GoDaddy agree with my answer and have marked it as the solution on another post

https://au.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Domains/GoDaddy-Has-Remailed-Responses-to-4-Requests-For-A...

Rest easy people.

Cheers

ditto

hopefully just due to the change of auDA registry provider in AU which GoDaddy seems to have not communicated to its AU customers 😞

can do without being creeped out about being hacked

however, the experience has allowed me to discover GoDaddy's "award-winning" support is so crap that I think I'll use those codes to move to another provider

automated support line verification process didn't recognise my phone number or customer number

then proceeded to place me on a 30min call queue with no option of live chat or even email support

pathetic