cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoDaddy domain on external hosting

Hi All,

I am trying to connect my GoDaddy domain (co.uk) with external hosting (OVH). I have added A, AAAA and TXT records to my domain on GoDaddy, but it did not work. My hosting provider is not able to verify these records, so the domain is not linked to my hosting. I tried to add the records and then change Nameservers from GoDaddy to OVH, but domain still appears as parked on GoDaddy. All records details are correct and have been updated correctly. Where is the problem?

16 REPLIES 16
Super User II
Super User II

Re: GoDaddy domain on external hosting

Hi forynski , I hope you are doing well. I think you did not use custom Nameservers. Please update custom nameservers  and then go to your hosting cpanel and search for domain addon and add your domain.

For more info visit

Zulfiqar Anees | GoDaddy Pro | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb.

Hi ZulWeb, thanks for your quick response. So you say that I should change nameservers to OVH, wait for GoDaddy to update them and then add the domain in my OVH cpanel? If so, what about email addresses set up on GoDaddy? 

Also, as far as I know, nameservers do not need to be changed, or am I wrong mate?

Super User II
Super User II

Currently, I am using my two domain on external web hosting. I just changed the custom nameservers.

For example

ns1.externalhosting.com

ns2.externalhosting.com

Zulfiqar Anees | GoDaddy Pro | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb.
Helper V

I was confused when I wrote this. You can ignore the following.

zulweb.com and techmag.com.pk seem to be working and their nameservers are for futuresouls.com. The nameservers for entertostudy.com seem to be pointing to GoDaddy. So I assume you just need to do the same for entertostudy.com as you have for the other two.

Except there seems to be a problem in China. If you are in China then you need to wait for the updates to propagate to there.

Helper V

Ooops, ignore my first reply. I was confused.

So OVH is for creating a zone file. I assume your domain name is registered with GoDaddy and you are trying to use hosting elsewhere. So the only thing that matters in the DoDaddy registration is the NS records; the nameservers. They need to point to whatever nameservers (at least two) that OVH tells you to use. Then everything else needs to be done in OVH.

Hi SamHobbs,

thanks for your reply. Domain from GoDaddy, hosting OVH. I talked to OVH support and they said that only A and TXT records are required, I can leave GoDaddy nameservers. I also called GoDaddy support and they said exactly the same. So I should add records, then change nameservers, wait (few hours for GoDaddy) and then my domain will be available in OVH cpanel right? What about email addresses connected with GoDaddy domain? MX records will be moved as they are and there will be no issues with using email addresses connected to the domain? Thanks in advance folks

Helper V

I can leave GoDaddy nameservers.

I am skeptical about that. But you are not clear about where. Leave them in the GoDaddy registration or leave them in the OVH zone file? You might have misunderstood what they were saying. Things like this require precision.

So I should add records, then change nameservers, wait (few hours for GoDaddy)

Add records where? What records? Change nameservers where? Things like this require precision.

What about email addresses connected with GoDaddy domain?

What does "connected" mean? Normally email is provided by the hosting company. I cannot be sure but my guess is that you will need to set up MX records in the OVH zone file using whatever instructions that OVH provides.

Hi @forynski,

We understand your domain is registered with GoDaddy. If you wish to continue to manage your DNS at GoDaddy, keep the default nameservers here. You need only to direct the A record to the OVH hosting IP address, and update a TXT record as they directed for verification. If your email is to stay at GoDaddy, there doesn't need to be a change to the MX records. You can verify those records depending on your email plan.

If you want to manage your domain's DNS (including the MX records) at OVH, you can update the nameservers to their specifications. Though the domain registration remains here, you will no longer have access to the DNS in the account with GoDaddy. 

Please allow 24-48 hours for any DNS changes to propagate globally. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Hi @TLH,

the thing is, if I update A, AAAA and TXT records, nothing happens, after couple of minutes my domain seems to be unverified by hosting provider (OVH) and the whole process is unsuccessful. On the other side, if I try to create DNS zone in my hosting provided, it does not work, because:

This DNS zone cannot be created because you do not fulfill all the criteria below:
The domain exists and it is active
The domain's SOA must be correctly set up in its DNS zone
There must be no actions in progress at OVH for this domain
This DNS cannot already be registered at OVH

What the heck??

Helper V

You need to contact OVH and if they don't help then get a hosting provider with better customer service.

Perhaps Razzamatazz Dance Club is a useful example. It is registered with GoDaddy and hosted at OVH. The following is its DNS, but be sure to use the values provided by OVH; at least the IP address might be different for you and the nameservers are for Canadian domains.

A: 66.70.179.19

NS: ns1.odedi37012.mywhc.ca
NS: ns2.odedi37012.mywhc.ca

Try MX Lookup Tool; it might help.

@SamHobbsthanks for your reply. The issue is still not solved, but I have noticed that only "co.uk" domains are affected. I tried couple of domain with different endings registered with GoDaddy, there is no issue when I want to create DNS zone or verify records by OVH. What is so special about "co.uk" and how to sort it out?

Helper V

The "uk" (it is a Top Level Domain (TLD)) in "co.uk" is for the United Kingdom. Each country can regulate how the TLD is registered. So you need to know the rules that the United Kingdom has established. That might not explain things or it might, I do not know. I assume that the "co" in "co.uk" means company, just as the "com" TLD is for companies (as in godaddy.com).

Helper V

If you wish to continue to manage your DNS at GoDaddy, keep the default nameservers here. You need only to direct the A record to the OVH hosting IP address, and update a TXT record as they directed for verification.

Many years ago when GoDaddy was converting to Plesk I was having difficulty getting my website working. Multiple times, GoDaddy support said it was not a GoDaddy problem. Finally I got a support person with experience outside of support that understood the problem. He said it was the zone file, that GoDaddy had a problem with the zone file. My domain name was registered elsewhere.

Okay, so this is what I am getting at. I am nearly certain I was told that if I wanted to host my site using Windows in GoDaddy then I must have the GoDaddy zone file set up. I was told that only the nameserver (NS) record in the registrar would be used. However I have had abundant reason to doubt anything that a GoDaddy support person says. The OVH customer support is more likely to know what works in their system and I hope they do not give as much of a run-around as I got when I was in a similar situation with my site hosted at GoDaddy.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @forynski. What @TLH said is generally correct. However, some hosting providers require that you use their nameservers. I'm guessing that's what's happening in your case. If using GoDaddy nameservers and updating your zone file settings isn't working, then it's a good indication that your hosting provider has specific requirements. The best thing to do would be to connect with your hosting provider's support team to find out why this specific domain is having trouble where the others are not. Based on the error you mentioned above, it sounds like the zone file you have with OVH is either missing information or something is already in process. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Helper V

it's a good indication that your hosting provider has specific requirements. The best thing to do would be to connect with your hosting provider's support team

That is what I have been saying.

Thanks @SamHobbs @JesseW ,

I am going to talk again with OVH support. What I have noticed at the moment is: A, AAAA and TXT records do not do the job. Also, there is no chance to create DNS zone for external co.uk domains. It does not matter what co.uk domain I choose. Well. I am going to contact both supports again and will let you know about progress.