cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoDaddy giving out Personal contact info

I just got off the phone with GoDaddy & they confirmed they are revealing my personal information due to a domain registration bug on their website. They offered no real help, & basically told me it won't work right so I need to accept protected personal info being accidentally released if I want to register domains via GoDaddy's website.

I'm already waking up each morning to Spam calls thanks to GoDaddy replacing my registration information with my personal phone number. It doesn't matter what info you register your domains with, GoDaddy will erroneously pull in other contact info they have on file even if it is sensitive personal data. Again, Most of the time it will not make a difference if you edit the information at the time of registration/purchase. 

They did not give me any indication to when they plan to fix it. 

Be careful.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II

Re: GoDaddy giving out Personal contact info

@ArkansasMark wrote:

I just got off the phone with GoDaddy & they confirmed they are revealing my personal information due to a domain registration bug on their website. They offered no real help, & basically told me it won't work right so I need to accept protected personal info being accidentally released if I want to register domains via GoDaddy's website.

I'm already waking up each morning to Spam calls thanks to GoDaddy replacing my registration information with my personal phone number. It doesn't matter what info you register your domains with, GoDaddy will erroneously pull in other contact info they have on file even if it is sensitive personal data. Again, Most of the time it will not make a difference if you edit the information at the time of registration/purchase. 

They did not give me any indication to when they plan to fix it. 

Be careful.

@ArkansasMark  That's clearly not true. The information used in the whois is exactly what you put in the contact/whois settings. I own thousands of domains and not a single time has my private phone number which is on my account been erroneously displayed in the public whois.

----

Re: GoDaddy giving out Personal contact info

Justin, I don't know why you would call me a liar without knowing any facts. You are contributing to the problem with your unnecessary discounting comments. I believe that it hasn't happened to you, but that is not an accuse to ignore the problem. 

I have been a GoDaddy customer since the 90s. I don't know how many domains I've purchased but I've been part of 100s websites & worked with International brands that are household names. I have worked on national security projects with NASA Space Command & the USAF.  I take data security very seriously. This hasn't happened to me before with any source I've used to buy domains.

The information in the Whois in NOT the information I  provided. GoDaddy is pulling in other personal & sensitive data instead. I am working with GoDaddy to fix it.