cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to change DNS records while using custom nameservers?

Hello,

I'm using custom nameservers and I need to edit my DNS records, however it says, "We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us."

How can I change my DNS records while using custom nameservers?

Thanks to anyone who'd help.

8 REPLIES 8
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: How to change DNS records while using custom nameservers?

@gelineays 

If you are using custom name servers you would update the DNS with the provider that is hosting the DNS.

If you can post your domain I can confirm where you make the updates.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted

The only way I know how to point my domain to my webhost is via nameservers, however I need to update my MX records for a 3rd party email provider.

my webhost is byethost.com

Apologies, but I'm not very familiar with DNS records. I was able to successfully connect an email client (Zoho) with my DNS records, however the domain no longer points to my website.

Super User III
Super User III

@gelineays 

Thank you for the updated information...

So in the GoDaddy domain manager (https://dcc.godaddy.com) you should be able to select your domain and manage DNS.

You should see an A record with a host of @ - if you do not then you need to add it and the IP will be the IP of your server at byet host

Hope this helps

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Is the IP address I need would be of the nameserver?

Example:

ns1.byet.org = 198.251.86.152 (according to this site)

And do I need to put just one A record?

Super User III
Super User III

@gelineays 

No the IP is that of YOUR account - somewhere in your hosting panel / account it should show you what your IP address for the account is - I'm not familiar enough with ByetHost to tell you specifically where it is

I see. No wonder I'm so confused. Been looking for an IP address everywhere on my hosting panel and account details, there is none. :/

I'll contact the site to ask if they can provide me the IP address of my site.

Thank you so much
Super User III
Super User III

Assuming your control panel matches to the screenshots on https://byet.host/vpsplans/webminscreenshots

It "looks" like if you go to the Networking section and then Network configuration  it should show the IP Address - their support should be able to help you with that

Unfortunately, my current control panel doesn't look anything like of the screenshots, but I'll contact support if that's the last resort.

Would it work if I do it in reverse? What if I let my domain point to my website via nameservers then get the A record from that? Will that be my IP address?

Sorry for the many questions! Smiley Sad