cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Leaving GoDaddy because prices are too high

I have over 80 domain names registered with GoDaddy that I accumulated over the past 20 years. Lately I've noticed that GoDaddy's prices have gone over the roof ($18 for .com, $20 for .net, $24 for .info, $44 for .help, etc.)  To go back to normal prices you are now forced to pay GoDaddy $120 for their "Domain Club membership"!  Also GoDaddy made sure that good offers and discount coupons only work for unsuspecting new users, while long-time loyal customers like us are getting robbed.  Because of this, I am looking into transfer ALL my domains out of GoDaddy.  There are numerous competitors out there.  Any recommendations on which to choose?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi @MN3. Thanks for providing your feedback. We know that we may not be the 'cheapest' registrar in the industry on every single price point, but we strive to be competitive. Beyond price, we work to provide a greater value than our competitors. We believe it's our reliability and service that truly set GoDaddy apart.

I know that it might seem like a lot to pay for a discount subscription, but the Discount Domain Club can make a huge difference in what you end up paying. If you have as few as 20 .com domains, the service would more than pay for itself in savings. If you speak with a GoDaddy Guide, they can give you a cost breakdown of how much you would save with the membership based on the actual domains you have. Also, being a member of our Discount Domain Club gives you access to lower prices for any domain name that you purchase. You also get revenue-generating extras like free CashParking Premium, a free GoDaddy Auctions membership as well as a significant discount on our domain broker service (if that's something you've ever thought of using).

Of course, in the end, you need to do what's best for you. I hope the above helps you make a decision. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@MN3 

Respectfully - This is a GoDaddy Forum - and although we are end users, I don't believe people will start sharing recommendations like this.

Additionally, the new customer pricing is normal throughout the industry - additionally, GoDaddy's pricing is inline with many other companies out there and in many cases lower. I've seen renewal prices on .com from $14-$35/yr (before ICANN fees / taxes)

I've also seen people that setup a service like cloudflare.com so they don't need to move their DNS and then transfer all of their domains every year to different registrars just to get the "new customer discount" 

One thing that many providers will do is offer the promo pricing on the first year, but even if you register say for 2 or 3 years you only get that promo pricing the first year and then it goes up.

I realize this may not be the answer you are looking for, but it is the way of the internet and just remember it isn't always greener on the other side.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for your response. 

My issue is that the fees GoDaddy is currently charging their existing clients are not normal at all. I only checked two other competitors so far and they both charge $13.99 for .com renewals and $25 for .help renewal for example (vs. $17.99 and $43.99 for godaddy). With over 70 domain registrations, that adds up to a lot more money paid for the same type of service. 

GoDaddy will offer you normal / good prices IF you pay them $120 for domain club membership. They slowly killed off all other renewal promotions and discounts to force you to either overpay for the renewals or to buy the domain club membership.  I don't like either option, do you?

Believe me I don't want to spend my time transferring my and setting up my 70+ domains, but I have to do that if I want normal pricing for their annual registration. GoDaddy will keep creeping up its fees until enough clients like me notice and move elsewhere.  If most people behave like you and defend GoDaddy's fees, they will keep hiking them.  I for one don't want to stick around for that.

I like your cloudflare tip. I've been with GoDaddy for more years than I can count and wasn't planning on transferring so I didn't set it up that way.  

Community Manager

Hi @MN3. Thanks for providing your feedback. We know that we may not be the 'cheapest' registrar in the industry on every single price point, but we strive to be competitive. Beyond price, we work to provide a greater value than our competitors. We believe it's our reliability and service that truly set GoDaddy apart.

I know that it might seem like a lot to pay for a discount subscription, but the Discount Domain Club can make a huge difference in what you end up paying. If you have as few as 20 .com domains, the service would more than pay for itself in savings. If you speak with a GoDaddy Guide, they can give you a cost breakdown of how much you would save with the membership based on the actual domains you have. Also, being a member of our Discount Domain Club gives you access to lower prices for any domain name that you purchase. You also get revenue-generating extras like free CashParking Premium, a free GoDaddy Auctions membership as well as a significant discount on our domain broker service (if that's something you've ever thought of using).

Of course, in the end, you need to do what's best for you. I hope the above helps you make a decision. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Thanks for your comment Jesse.  Please pass my feedback to your management in case they are unaware of their clients' opinions of the way they are pricing renewals.  As a long-time client, I can tell you that at this time not only you are not the 'cheapest' registrar, but you have become one of the most expensive ones.  This is not hard to verify - just check the price list of your main competitors.

So while you are incredibly competitive with your new user / registrations offers, and you used to have competitive renewal promotions, since you introduced the Domain Club Membership you slowly phased out all renewal promotions and increased your renewal fees to force clients to pay the annual $120 membership.  As a client, I can tell you that I don't believe that I need to pay $120 annually just so I can get competitive pricing on annual renewals! Also, the other perks you mentioned do not have any value to me as I don't use them. At the end of the day, your clients have two options: Overpay for GoDaddy's renewals, or go somewhere else.  Since domain names work exactly the same regardless where they are registered (they are all managed by ICANN), there is really no reason for clients to pay a premium just to go through GoDaddy. 

I hope your company's management understands that many of its clients are not happy with these pricing policies and the trend to leave the service will only grow if they do not do something to reverse the course and offer existing clients better value on their renewals.

Thanks!