cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

OTE API error

Weirdly, by being careful with the API, I have found an issue.

curl -X GET "https://api.npe-godaddy.com/v1/domains/kayplexlimited.com/records/TXT/_acme-challenge" -H "accept: application/json" -H "Authorization: sso-key foo:bar"

with OTE keys gives the error

{"code":"UNKNOWN_DOMAIN","message":"The given domain is not registered, or does not have a zone file"}

Using the production API and production keys returns the correct information!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@k4yplex 

I'm not a Reseller - but as a "Developer" I was still able to get to the APIs

Apparently this is a known issue for some time. https://www.godaddy.com/community/VPS-Dedicated-Servers/My-domain-does-not-work-with-API/m-p/59646#M...

From the gist of it - you can't use live domains with the test API - you have to use specific test ones - I could not find what those specific test ones are and if you try to retrieve the list of test domains is says none found.

You may need to email api@godaddy.com to find out the test domain that will work on the OTE

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@k4yplex 

FYI - and for anyone else finding this thread...

Response from GoDaddy

OTE servers are not mirrored from our live servers.  This means that domains registered in your account will not be registered in OTE and if you wish to test OTE to make changes to a domain, you will need to purchase the domain in the OTE environment yourself.  Purchasing domains in OTE does not cost anything as these domains aren't real with the registry.  Doing this also keeps resource usage low as most people who buy domains don't use APIs.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV

@k4yplex 

I'm not a Reseller - but as a "Developer" I was still able to get to the APIs

Apparently this is a known issue for some time. https://www.godaddy.com/community/VPS-Dedicated-Servers/My-domain-does-not-work-with-API/m-p/59646#M...

From the gist of it - you can't use live domains with the test API - you have to use specific test ones - I could not find what those specific test ones are and if you try to retrieve the list of test domains is says none found.

You may need to email api@godaddy.com to find out the test domain that will work on the OTE

Thanks for the clarification. At the end of the day, it didn't cause me any
issues, since I used the live API, but that kind of defeats the intention
of the OTE.

I am also not a reseller.

@k4yplex 

FYI - and for anyone else finding this thread...

Response from GoDaddy

OTE servers are not mirrored from our live servers.  This means that domains registered in your account will not be registered in OTE and if you wish to test OTE to make changes to a domain, you will need to purchase the domain in the OTE environment yourself.  Purchasing domains in OTE does not cost anything as these domains aren't real with the registry.  Doing this also keeps resource usage low as most people who buy domains don't use APIs.