cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I

Point domain name to new site hosted elsewhere

Hi I have been trying to get advice about this, maybe someone here can help.

I have a domain and managed Wordpress site both with GoDaddy. Due to several issues I want to start from scratch elsewhere, and so have built a brand new website over on Wix (with the same name). I want to point my current domain name to the new website, not the old. Is the only way to do this to firstly completely delete my old Wordpress site, then change the DNS of domain to the Wix servers before publishing the new one and potentially have a few days downtime while it's all sorted out? 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Point domain name to new site hosted elsewhere

Hi @jennieade. You wouldn't need to cancel your Managed WordPress site before updating where your domain points. This article explains how you can connect a domain to Wix. If that's not working for some reason, you can use the steps in this article to manually change the nameservers for your domain. You should be able to get the correct nameservers from Wix. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Helper I

Hi @JesseW thank you for taking the time to reply.

I had read the article and instructions previously and thought this would simply connect the servers to Wix, but still point to my old website.

Unfortunately this is exactly what has just happened. I wanted the domain to connect to the newly built site on Wix, not the old Wordpress. So I have decided to go ahead and remove the Wordpress site completely, however this has now got stuck at 50% progress, hopefully I can figure this out but if you have any further advice I would be grateful to hear it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@jennieade - Canceling your WordPress site shouldn't affect your domain if you used the steps to point it to Wix. Typically, this is just a matter of updating the nameservers for your domain to point to what Wix wants you to use. If you can get the nameserver requirements from them, you can use this article to update them on our end. 

As for your hosting plan, if it's still stuck at 50%, you'll want to connect with our support team. That can happen from time to time but only an agent with access to your account would be able to address it. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.