cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I

Price increases when ordering.

I type in a .com name and your site says "Buy it now price $10.25". Great.

I hit "Buy it now" and it is in my cart but it is 3 times the price, $30+. Not great. You may not have intended this to be a bait and switch but that is what it is.

It now says it is an expired auction but that doesn't explain my experience or why it is acceptable.

You advertise the sale price of $10.25. It should be $10.25.

39 REPLIES 39
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

I'm not sure @daven25 but it seems like you probably need to check your renewal length? Depending on circumstance that asterisk (*) can mean different things. Was it *price per year when selecting a five year term? Maybe it was *plus ICANN fee of $0.18 per year?

I'm my experience GoDaddy pricing is very straight forward and honest. You of course can expect those fees and taxes (depending on your location) to be added. Additionally after you put your domain in the cart the checkout wizard does guide you through the choices of adding additional products like privacy and email. If you don't take those additional products make sure that you don't opt into any of those additional products. 

Read the disclaimer. Pay attention to the term length. Don't opt in to any additional products. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

* appears to mean add 25c - nothing else cited re the single asterisk.

There is an auction flag and a learn more button under which we're told you have to join Godaddy Auctions for a fee to be able to even attempt to buy it. But this is in complete contradiction to the buy it now offer and the fact I can put it in my cart and apparently buy it, albeit at triple the advertised price.

Taxes and fees are $2.95. No term is listed so I presume its 1 year, or there isn't one because next to the price is "Auctions Expired Domain" to which there is no explanation attached and no other info. There is no renewal length.

I tried putting in a name from the list of expired domains under auction and you don't get a buy it now button with those, you get a bid button. So the name I was after is not one of those. Also I have checked it is not in the auctions list. The actual auction has expired I think is its status.

Yes, auction domain pricing and fees are different @daven25.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

That appears so, nevertheless whether the name I was after is currently part of an auction or not, the buy button price vs the in cart price is all screwed up.

So yeah now that they know I tried to get it they've renewed it (godaddy owns it till 2019 according to whois) and are saying they'll "try their best to get it for me" from the owner (actually them) for over $100 now. 

I don't think I need to tell godaddy where to go at this point. They offered it buy-it-now for $10.25, blocked me and now ask for 10 times that amount.

Doesn't matter if its an automated system doing it. It's still bait and switch.

It repeated the whole process today. Buy it now for $12.85 or so - told its available after clicking that, went through the option to the cart, its not in the cart, search again its now taken but hey, purchase our domain buy service for $101+ and maybe we'll get it for you. Oh and on top of this brokerage theres an additional "brokerage fee". Btw as I mentioned, the owner is Godaddy itself.

Emptied cart and it was available again, $12.85. I actually got it into my cart by selecting all the up-sell options on the way then deleting them in the cart. Looked like I could now purchase the name for $12.85. Entered card info and hit purchase. The name was removed from my cart because it was 'unavailable' - unavailable unless I purchase the $101 domain buy service.

Illegal yes?

I don't want to discount your experience @daven25 but I have NEVER seen anything like what you are describing? I wish I could look over your shoulder to get a better understanding of what is going on. 

Here you go. Edit of 2 screen grabs just now. Slight change to prior sequence. Available for $12.45 / click / Available but also unavailable. Option to go further by paying more not currently coming up but likely will again tomorrow when something resets.

Hopefully this demonstrates it really is as screwed up as I've been describing.

godaddy cant commit.jpg

Here you go. Edit of 2 screen grabs just now. Slight change to prior sequence. Available for $12.45 / click / Available but also unavailable. Option to go further by paying more not currently appearing but likely will again tomorrow when something resets.

Hopefully at least this demonstrates it really is as screwed up as I've been describing.

godaddy cant commit 2.jpeg

I'm collecting screengrabs, but currently it will not let me attach one to a message here.

It's basically as described, but I'm currently not getting permission to upload screen grabs.

Here you go. Edit of 2 screen grabs just now. Slight change to prior sequence. Available for $12.45 / click / Available but also unavailable. Option to go further by paying more not currently appearing but likely will again tomorrow when something resets.

Hopefully at least this demonstrates it really is as screwed up as I've been describing.

godaddy cant commit.jpg

Update:

godaddy now taken pay more.jpg

So are we just shooting the breeze here or does someone have a suggestion?

I actually can't see the images you posted. 

Yes I don't know why that happens. The images are replaced with triangular icons. The images displayed again for while. Now its icons again. Changing browsers doesn't help. Maybe look again later?

Is the issue that the domain you would like is taken? When you search the domain you would like do you get a message like Sorry, k#######.com is taken. Still want it? Here's what you do. The Domain Buy Service is not the same as you just buying a domain. The domain buy broker acts as a liaison and advocate in you domain purchasing process. Domain brokers are typically used when domains are already in use or otherwise unavailable for purchase through the virgin buy process. 

I have used the GoDaddy Domain Buy Service and found their brokers and process to be great. I will say that buying domains this way can get pricey quick but your broker should communicate and update with you about price and process each step of the way. Ultimately you have veto over the final purchase price negotiated by your assigned broker.

It doesn't appear that the domain has been available since 2016? Though GoDaddy is listed as the registrar it does not mean they actually own the domain but instead that were used to register the domain. Looks like this domain was purchased in January 2016 for two years and it recently expired? If that is the case perhaps it is in the redemption period? If the previous registered user does not redeem the domain it should return to the market for purchase. 

One thing is suggest is to use the GoDaddy Domain Backorder service because there is a bit of a set it and forget it process. You could of course keep checking daily, hourly, weekly... but having purchased my share of domains I find the best, most efficient way is to use automated services or a domain broker. I hope that helps?