cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Un-parking Domains - Will nameserver change break existing DNS records

Hi,

We have a domain that is not necessarily used for a website, but is used to provide DNS for server hosting. Basically, so we can provide a unique host name for each client and to install an SSL to protect the server's transfers.

Some of our clients have approached us because the domain is parked and their IT will not allow them to use the domain unless it is unparked. 

I've read online that we need to update the name servers in order to unpack the domain on GoDaddy. My concern is that we already have a bunch of A records to redirect host names to their corresponding server for our clients. Will changing the name servers affect these DNS records, even for the slightest amount of time? We do not want to take down all our hosting clients by making some change on GoDaddy. We don't quite understand NameServers and parked domains.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

- Jeff

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Un-parking Domains - Will nameserver change break existing DNS records

Hi @JeffHenry

Without the domain name it's difficult to determine your DNS setup. If you update the nameservers, it will affect your DNS records. I would suggest editing your @ A record to point to a specific IP address, instead of changing the nameservers, so the domain is no longer parked and other records won't be affected. 

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Highlighted

Re: Un-parking Domains - Will nameserver change break existing DNS records

Hi @charminglygeeky,

I figured updating the nameservers would affect DNS. I'll try pointing the @ record to one of our other web servers and see if that works. Thanks.

- Jeff