cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Understanding EPP Status Code Timelines

Hey,
I've been reviewing the ICANN EPP Status Codes and I'm trying to understand the timeline associated with expiring domains.
The Redemption Period indicates the domain will be held in this status for 30 days. After five calendar days following the end of the redemptionPeriod, the domain is purged from the registry database and becomes available for registration. The Pending Delete Period indicates that the domain has been in redemptionPeriod status for 30 days and has not been restored within that 30-day period. The domain will remain in this status for several days, after which time the domain will be purged and dropped from the registry database.

I'm interested in a domain that has an expiration date of November 18, 2019 (WHOIS below).

If I calculate a Redemption Period (30 days + 5 Days) plus a Pending Delete Period (30 days). Shouldn't the domain be available as of January 23, 2020? Is the expiring date/time on WHOIS irrelevant when trying to purchase an expiring domain? Any input, personal examples or clarification on the subject would be helpful, thank you.

WHOIS Information:
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Updated Date: 2019-12-31
Creation Date: 2011-11-18
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-11-18
Domain Status: redemptionPeriod https://www.icann.org/epp#redemptionPeriod
Domain Status: pendingDelete https://www.icann.org/epp#pendingDelete
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2020-01-25T08:19:38.00Z <<<

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@YuriOrlov 

Please see this link about backorders with Enom - https://www.enom.com/kb/kb/kb_0056-register-expired-domain.htm

One thing that happens is people do these backorders so the day / minute they become available they grab them right away as they have "pre-purchased" them - so then you never see it as "released / available" as someone else has already got it.  Most of the folks that do that then resell the domain and it's a negotiation on how much it will cost.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Hey,

Great success with winning the domain through drop catching. I wanted to return and note the timing. The WhoIs information was updated three different times moving from redemption period to deletion period. Overall it took 80 days from expiration to availability.

Update ONE
Updated Date: 12/31/19
Creation Date: 11/18/11
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 11/18/2019
Registrar: Enom, Inc.

Update TWO

Update THREE
Updated Date: 1/31/20

Domain Backorder Deadline 2/6/20 at 12:00 PM

Domain Won Email 2/6/20 at 4:20 PM

Timing:

Expired: Monday, November 18, 2019
Drop Catch Won: February 6, 2020

Result: 80 days

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@YuriOrlov 

Generally speaking that is correct - however with many domain auctions etc - there are backorders, and other "after market" sites - that the day the domain gets through the redemption period these services grab them up.

As this domain is registered with ENOM, I would reach out to them and say that you are interested in the domain and they can give you the best options within their system.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hey,

I appreciate the reply, would you be able to provide any details or examples of dates that would further explain the timelines? I understand the general idea, but looking for details and facts. It's beyond the stated timeline and curious if anybody knew when the domain actually becomes available or is it just a guess? What's the use of expiration dates/times on the WHOIS information if it's not relevant to when they become available?

Thanks for the insight.

@YuriOrlov 

Please see this link about backorders with Enom - https://www.enom.com/kb/kb/kb_0056-register-expired-domain.htm

One thing that happens is people do these backorders so the day / minute they become available they grab them right away as they have "pre-purchased" them - so then you never see it as "released / available" as someone else has already got it.  Most of the folks that do that then resell the domain and it's a negotiation on how much it will cost.

Thank you for the input - ENOM said it will take about 75 days in their system, so an additional 10 days from my original 65 calculated. The rep couldn't give me an exact date of an expiring domain on 1/1/20 as an example, so I'm not sure if they even know the exact day or time it can become available. But If I obtain the domain I want, I display the exact time it took for it to happen for future reference. 

Hey,

Great success with winning the domain through drop catching. I wanted to return and note the timing. The WhoIs information was updated three different times moving from redemption period to deletion period. Overall it took 80 days from expiration to availability.

Update ONE
Creation Date: 11/18/11
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 11/18/2019
Registrar: Enom, Inc.

Update TWO

Update THREE
Updated Date: 1/31/20

Domain Backorder Deadline 2/6/20 at 12:00 PM

Domain Won Email 2/6/20 at 4:20 PM

Timing: