cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

What is a safe and efficient way to replacing an Existing Website with WordPress?

Hello there! 

I have a friend for which would like me to build a fresh website for him.  He has a domain name with Godaddy.  Essentially he wants a new website built from scratch using wordpress  ( existing build was with some other website builder software).  The guy that built the site originally is forthcoming with any info i might need from him.. but i've no idea where to start.  I'm good to otherwise go with building but just need to get this bit sorted.  thankyou in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: What is a safe and efficient way to replacing an Existing Website with WordPress?

Hey there @euphmorning 

Best way to do it is thus:

• Purchase some Linux cPanel hosting
  • During setup, make a subdomain of the primary domain you will be using, i.e. new.yourdomain.com, dev.yourdomain.com, etc.
  • Install WordPress on said domain
  • Build out site
  • When complete, change primary domain of hosting to domain you want for your site

Those are the basic steps. If you run into issues, just hit us up on here and we'll be happy to help if we can.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: What is a safe and efficient way to replacing an Existing Website with WordPress?

kind thanks for helpful response @MrVapor Joe,

'Purchase some linux cpanel hosting' ?

so if i was to use for example, Hostgator - then just follow the steps you went onto describe yes?

(sorry the linux bit confused me!)  thanks again 🙂

also, in terms of building the new site on a subdomain. what information shall i need from the previous website developer if any.. or is there anything he shall need to do his end? (the domain is on godaddy)

Super User III
Super User III

@euphmorning 

To answer the first question, yes, you should be able to get a cPanel Linux plan at HostGator. I'd really consider, if you don't want to use GoDaddy, to do some research on a different hosting company. HostGator and a ton of other hosting providers are owned by a parent company called EIG. Their customer service is horrid. Going for cheap usually gets you what you pay for.

As far as the domain goes, it'll be a little more involved if you're hosting somewhere else. You'll have to add in the info manually instead of it automatically happening. As long as you control the domain itself, it should not be an issue.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community