cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Quotation Marks

Whoever had the idea to update the email system so that quotation marks now show around EVERY SINGLE email address whether that's in your inbox, sent folder, or any other folder. e.g., "John Jones" or "Jane Doe" or "Adam Smith" should be demoted. Boooooooooo! What's the point? It's very distracting and very odd looking. Change it back, please...ASAP. Aesthetically it is just awful. And yes, I know you can change to Classic View and it won't have those goofy quotation marks around EVERYONE'S email address.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Email Quotation Marks

Hello Actually the standard form of an E-mail address (per RFC 5322, but not using the syntax from that RFC) is: display-name <mail-box@domain>

The display-name for this reply is "Jane Doe". It is optional. Quotes are not needed, but my very old E-mail client adds them when adding a new entry to my address book. At one time, the display-name was bracketed with parentheses; and E-mail clients today should still recognize that markup. If the display-name is omitted, the < and > bracketing the mail-box@domain may be omitted.

The mail-box is the part of the E-mail address that identifies the recipient for the destination mail server. For this reply, mail-box is nobody.

The domain is the domain of the destination mail server. For this reply, the domain is nowhere.invalid.

RFC 5322 specifies other forms of E-mail addresses, primarily for use where the sender and recipient are both using the same server or are sending messages through an intranet WAN.

Zulfiqar Anees | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb | GoDaddy Pro.

See the below picture. The quotation marks have never been there before, and I've been with GoDaddy for 6+ years. The quotation marks are very distracting and, besides, seemingly have no purpose whatsoever.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 8.30.24 AM.png

I had the same reaction. There is no way that someone intentionally made this change - it has to be a side effect of something else.

I completely agree. The quotes have no reason to be there. I don't understand who thought this was a good idea, but it's awful. I gets hundreds of emails a week and now I have these distracting quotes marks adding more clutter with no purpose. Please add an option to have these removed or just remove the idea all together. Maybe it's an issue with an update in the coding?

Agree 100%. GoDaddy just plays stupid. They act like an “update” (their words) was made and that it’s just a normal part of the supposed “update.” Newsflash: It’s not normal, never has been. Get it fixed, please, ASAP!!
New

Has anyone found a way to turn off these ridiculous quotation marks yet. I don't know why they bother me so much, it's just annoying as hell!

I agree.  I am not sure, but since the use of the quote marks have started, I have not been able to send emails to one specific email address.  The email addresses are being truncated, and it is taking 24 hours for the mailer-daemon to let me know.  I have reached out to GO Daddy, but we have not found a solution.