cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Getting Started

Moving to a different email service. Will all of my emails transfer?

i currently have an email account office 365 with GoDaddy but im transferring to one.com

i am planning on canceling it with godaddybut i still want my emails so that i can have them on one.com

will they automatically move over ? how do i move them over?

and If not will they stay on windows10mail app

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@designerella 

Glad to help!  So in order to use your domain for email, you have to change the mail server records for your domain in your DNS.  That's what controls your domain pulling your website and how your email works.

MX records -- Mail Exchange servers -- are what handle your emails.   Where ever your DNS is handled (GoDaddy?), you then would need to login to your dashboard, go to your domain and modify the DNS.   

One.com should provide you with their specific MX records (usually two) that you would put on your DNS replacing the MX records from O365 currently there.   

Here is a GoDaddy article on how to change MX records.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-an-mx-record-19235

Does this help? 😉

Judith
"No guts, no story." ~ Chris Brady

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User 2020

@designerella 

Once you change the MX servers on your DNS you will no longer be connected to the GoDaddy O365 mail servers.   Check with your new provider to see if they have a way to migrate over to their system *before* you make any DNS/MX changes.  😉

Judith

@Muse sorry can u explain yourself a bit clearer. im a total newbie. been on
godaddy since i bought the domain so dont know anything....

@designerella 

Glad to help!  So in order to use your domain for email, you have to change the mail server records for your domain in your DNS.  That's what controls your domain pulling your website and how your email works.

MX records -- Mail Exchange servers -- are what handle your emails.   Where ever your DNS is handled (GoDaddy?), you then would need to login to your dashboard, go to your domain and modify the DNS.   

One.com should provide you with their specific MX records (usually two) that you would put on your DNS replacing the MX records from O365 currently there.   

Here is a GoDaddy article on how to change MX records.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-an-mx-record-19235

Does this help? 😉

Judith

View solution in original post