cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Want to upload and connect to an accdb database

I have an Access .accdb database that I want to upload and connect to from my website. I have it working on my localhost, so I know that the issues I'm having are just on the godaddy side of things.

Here's what I've tried:

(1) I had an Access .mdb database on my site that I was able to connect to. It worked both on my localhost and worked when I uploaded it to my godaddy website, with no changes. I didn't use any of the godaddy database tools, I just had it in a folder on my website. I tried the same thing with the new .accdb database, but it does not work. When I load a page that uses the database, it immediately redirects to the default 500 error page (which I hate -- it would be more helpful if it stayed on the page so I could see the error message and know what the problem is).

(2) I thought maybe I needed to use Godaddy's database tools instead, so I used the admin to create a sqlserver database. However, in the database admin tools there was no way to import my database into this new sql server db. There's only a .csv import directly into a single table. My database has many tables and many views set up and there's absolutely no way I'm going to do a tedious import like that every single time I make an update.

Has anyone else ever uploaded and connected to an .accdb Access database? How do I do it?

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Helper V

Re: Want to upload and connect to an accdb database

Did you do all of the following?

1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Click Web Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
  4. In the Databases section of the Hosting Control Panel, click the Access icon.
  5. Click Enable Access Support. This creates a private directory in your hosting directory called "access_db." This directory will already have the appropriate database permissions set.
New

Thank you for your response.

On step #4, "In the Databases section of the Hosting Control Panel, click the Access icon.", there is no Access icon there for me to click. There is a MySQL icon and a SQL Server icon, neither of which go to anything that says "Enable Access Support".

However, there is already a "access_db" folder on my site (I didn't put it there). I have tried moving my database to that folder and and updating the code to point there instead of where I had it before, but I still get redirected to the 500 error page when I try to load the page that accesses the database.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tabna,

you may need to use http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

and export your Microsoft access database to MySQL. I don't think Microsoft access databases are an option. 

Highlighted
Helper V

@tabna, check to ensure that the Access database is not read-only. I don't know how to do that.

If that does not help then see Get detailed errors | Windows Hosting (Plesk).

I faced the same issue as you now.

Do you manage to get a solution?

Helper V

See Considerations for server-side Automation of Office. Microsoft does not support use of Access server-side and warns against doing it. So the solution to problems with use of Access in a website is to convert to something else.

I would like to know also.

I am trying to re-brand myself.  I currently run CountyRealty.com elsewhere; but I'm thinking about using GoDaddy.

It looks like a total pain to use MS Access .mdb's here. If you found a solution, please let me know what you did. 

Helper V
Solution

See my previous reply. See Considerations for server-side Automation of Office. It is old but I have not heard of any relevant changes. The article is technical in many places so the following are quotes of relevant portions. You can (try to) read the article for more but the important thing is that if you want a reliable and professional web site then you definitely do not want to use Access for it.

In this context ... the 2010 Access Database Engine are considered Microsoft Office components.

All current versions of Microsoft Office were designed, tested, and configured to run as end-user products on a client workstation.

They do not provide the level of reentrancy or security that is necessary to meet the needs of server-side components that are designed to run unattended.

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

I was hosted  and I plan to go back to Web.com.  I tried  to convert my web pages to GoDaddy.  I have   over many years created  successful ASP pages that  connect   to Microsoft Access databases.    These are basically mini applications  to solve specific client issues.   The GoDaddy new tier 2 folks tell me they do not support  Access databases.    I find this unbelievable   but my crashing code tells me they are right.   The Plesk  control panel  does have an option   to create   an ODBC   connection   for an Access   Database but it doesn't work.   If you want   to run an access   database   - GoDaddy  is not an option.   I suspect there are folks in this community that have connected to an access database and know how to do it, but the GoDaddy folks do not know how.   I am going back   to Web.com