cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Azure VM and SSL

I have a Windows VM running in Azure for the purposes of running SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). My domain name is working and my students can connect to SSRS and SQL Server using the domain name.

I have also purchased an SSL certificate, but when I install it on the server and configure it in SSRS, SSRS becomes unreachable with both HTTP and HTTPS. I have a feeling that I didn't create the original SSL request correctly. I generated the request on the server using my domain name, but maybe I should have used the Azure address since the VM is not a member of an actual AD. Any advice?

Thanks,

Kathi

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Azure VM and SSL

@KathiK 

Check out this Microsoft Doc. This might have your answer possibly. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New
Solution

It was a basic error on my part. When configuring the firewall to allow http and my SQL port, I forgot to allow 443.

Thanks,

Kathi

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

Hello @KathiK and thank you for reaching out to the GoDaddy community. 

I would admit, I haven't gone that extreme with any of my Windows VMs in Azure.

Check out this GoDaddy article and let us know if it guides you in the right direction. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
Highlighted
New

Thanks for responding. I have been able to install the SSL certificate and SSRS can see it. It just breaks SSRS. I think that the way I generated the CSR is not correct. I'm going to try again and use the VM's Azure name and see what happens.

Kathi

Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@KathiK 

Check out this Microsoft Doc. This might have your answer possibly. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Highlighted
New

I've got it working. Thanks!

Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

Awesome. Could you share what you did for future reference?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Highlighted
New
Solution

It was a basic error on my part. When configuring the firewall to allow http and my SQL port, I forgot to allow 443.

Thanks,

Kathi

Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

@KathiK 

Haha, yes allow 443 is always a good thing. 

Please feel free to make this thread as closed, please!

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis