cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Get Private key from SSL Certificate

I have purchased the SSL certificate from GoDaddy and i need to install this SSL certificate on siteground server because my site is hosted on siteground.

But i am facing the issue with private key because when i try to set up the SSL certificate on Siteground it ask for private key and in am not able get private key.

Please help me how can i get the private key.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

The private key for an SSL Certificate is something that is generated when you create a CSR. During the CSR creation process, the server will usually save the private key in one of its directories. If you weren't asked where to save the private key when you generated your CSR, you will need to check with your hosting provider (be it Siteground, GoDaddy, or anyone else) to see if they can locate it for you. Here is an article form Siteground regarding managing private keys on their servers. Take a look at this article for more information on private key locations on common server platforms.  

If you can't locate your private key, you can generate a new CSR and then rekey your GoDaddy certificate to continue the installation process. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Helper VI

Hello @santosh

See if this helps you

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/how-do-i-install-an-ssl-certificate-on-my-server-172

Good luck.

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

Hello, I have the same problem and the tutorial does not help. Godaddy support also does not help with this

Unable to give Kudo BUT... This walkthrough helped out  immensely .  Thank  you.

Just take previous private key and copy it into text file, save as something.key and upload with GD crt and crt bundle. 

New

Hey did you have any progress with this?

Hi, I have the same problem.  Did you find the answer?

Community Manager

The private key for an SSL Certificate is something that is generated when you create a CSR. During the CSR creation process, the server will usually save the private key in one of its directories. If you weren't asked where to save the private key when you generated your CSR, you will need to check with your hosting provider (be it Siteground, GoDaddy, or anyone else) to see if they can locate it for you. Here is an article form Siteground regarding managing private keys on their servers. Take a look at this article for more information on private key locations on common server platforms.  

If you can't locate your private key, you can generate a new CSR and then rekey your GoDaddy certificate to continue the installation process. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post