cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSL Certificate Invalid Issuer - Installation Issue

I bought a ultimate hosting package which offered me 1 year free SSL. I wanted to install it on my domain www.mydomain.com which I did correctly. After 72 hours, it showed me the certificate is invalid. While visiting the website, it said not secure and I could see the issuer was wrong. It was mydomain.co.uk however it should be www.mydomain.com I spoke with Godaddy chat colleague who asked me to manually do some changes but adding HTTPS through htaccess file in filemanager which I did correctly again. She had no idea on what the issue was.. I told her the issuer is wrong it should be mydomain.com but she said it will be fine within 72 hours. It’s over a week now, nothing has been changed. I am still getting error… the issuer is wrong it should be mydomain.com that is the challenge! Please help me! I am already annoyed.

I did CSR Decode option to see if it was working fine, and it does say the primary domain is www.mydomain.com but not sure why it is showing mydomain.co.uk as issuer which is why the domain is not secured with SSL. While installing SSL I put the correct details too!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Resolver III

To clarify assumptions - there has never been a trusted certificate issued for mydomain.com , mydomain.co.uk or any of their subdomains (I used https://keychest.net/auditnow which search all issued certs). The certificate installed on your server was created on Oct 9 and is self-signed, i.e., untrusted.

Update Jan 24 - apologies - there is a valid cert from GoDaddy issued on Jan 20.

As such, SSL has never been requested or created for your domain. As the cert should be automatically issued and deployed with ultimate hosting, you will have to contact godaddy support again to explain that.

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Resolver III

To clarify assumptions - there has never been a trusted certificate issued for mydomain.com , mydomain.co.uk or any of their subdomains (I used https://keychest.net/auditnow which search all issued certs). The certificate installed on your server was created on Oct 9 and is self-signed, i.e., untrusted.

Update Jan 24 - apologies - there is a valid cert from GoDaddy issued on Jan 20.

As such, SSL has never been requested or created for your domain. As the cert should be automatically issued and deployed with ultimate hosting, you will have to contact godaddy support again to explain that.

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post

I have to accept the second part of the subject line. Poor Godaddy Support especially for the SSL support on hosted domain.

I had similar issue with creating a valid keystore (jjava key store) And asking them for the support, all they are fwd was to cPanel. but i'm old vim & terminal guy. when i was asking for the reference document they were providing the Code signing not the keystore.

For tomcat it might be easy, but for spark web Framework there needs a keystore with trusted certificate. For Quick ref TrustStore is primarily for clients where the private key is not part of and keystore will contain the your own private key. secure api of spark-web-framework takes only two parameters first one is location of the keystore file second is passphrase.

In a nutshell you create your private key using openssl or keytool or with cpanel.
Keep the private key securely.
Then using the private key create a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) file for the domain.
Upload the file to godaddy for signed pem key. Wait for it to get approved.
Download the pem file (intermediate certificate) and the godaddy certificate.

Combine your private key, public key, intermediate certificate & godaddy certificate to a text file. with the appropriate keystore passphrase.
import the certificate to the keystore file.
import the intermediate key and godaddy key.

Now your keystore is ready to use.

Will post the exact commands for example.com soon.

Founder @ yeN
Resolver III

Well done, your server looks good now!