cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SSL certificate install slowed down site

After installing an SSL on my client's site, it slowed down significantly. What can be done to speed it up?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: SSL certificate install slowed down site

I think that you will find adding a SSL will slow down a website and there isn't much that you can do to make the process faster. What I typically do is optimize the other parts of the website to compensate. I suggest going to your favorite speed load test website and work to improve the load time in any other way you can. Ideally you would have a baseline before you added the SSL. Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Highlighted

Thanks Roy. Yes, I have tried to speed up the site, and with some success. But sometimes the site is so slow the server times out. It is almost unusable. 

I'll continue to work on this.

Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

@maureen not all SSL certificates are created equal. You could also contact your provider and see if there is perhaps a better combination of servers you could use to facilitate the handshake that needs to happen. I have had wonderful success with GoDaddy branded and supplied certificates in response time, service and support.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Highlighted
New

I am experiencing this problem as well.  Since the SSL was installed by GoDaddy, the site times out all the time. I get error messages that the site is not responding.  In addition, working in WordPress is grueling.  Every time I click on anything in the WP Dashboard, I feel like a little kid in the back of the car, "Are we there yet?"  Productivity is down to the sludging-through-a-swamp speed.

What, specifically, should I ask GoDaddy for regarding speeding up the page view time?

Highlighted

Agree with others. GoDaddy SSL is **bleep** slow and more than 50% of the time the page times out. Who on earth wants to lose customer, lose revenue and get frustrated just to move to https with no benefits whatsoever. Removed it just after 2 frustrating days.

And how is that we dont see this slowness or timeout with other popular websites like google, facebook, twitter and many other? 

Highlighted
New

Is there a way to remove the SSL certificate to perform some tests to see if my issues go away?

Highlighted

I added SSL to my domains - all asp.net sites. Immediately, my sites began to load slowly. There were multiple 503 errors. GoDaddy support said my main site was not optimally designed, which was true. They said this was the cause of the slow loads and 503 errors. They said this even though all of the sites loaded quickly for years without 503 errors before SSL. The slow loading and 503 errors only started after I added SSL. They said the non-optimal sites needed to be re-designed. They said SSL was not involved in any way. I was told this by several support reps. These problems continued for several days. Then, I turned off SSL on all my sites. Immediately, the sites returned to normal - no slow loading and no 503 errors. I know it is good practice to have SSL. However, at least in my case, SSL seemed to prevent sites from loading properly. I will re-design my "problem" site, and try again. Maybe, SSL will work better with a more optimal design.

Highlighted
New

i dont think that its problem with site , its ssl which is creating the problem. if the problem was with Javascript or any other code then it should have sped up tasks after installation. ssl installtion files is intruding and it totally depends on which server godaddy is working with. 

unfortunately my site has same issue