cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSL not working on non-www version

HTTPS works fine when I open the website with www, but I get a security error on Firefox when you open the website without www. Do I have to separately configure the two domain versions?

I have set up a UCC SSL for my domain

My website -

Wikirush

Find your GST

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Resolver III

You have to have 2 items in the certificate. Let's say the domain is "mydomain.com"

The first item you always have to have for UCC SSL is:

*.mydomain.com

this will provide SSL for all subdomains, e.e.,g "www.mydomain.com, a.mydomain.com, int.api.mydomain.com, etc". As the leading "*" can be replaced with any string. The second character is "." and this has to be present in all domains where this UCC cert is installed.

The "mydomain.com" does not have the dot at the beginning. This means that if you want to cover this domain as well, you need to add this to your certificate separately. The picture below shows this for the godaddy.com website.

Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 08.24.29.png

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Resolver III

You have to have 2 items in the certificate. Let's say the domain is "mydomain.com"

The first item you always have to have for UCC SSL is:

*.mydomain.com

this will provide SSL for all subdomains, e.e.,g "www.mydomain.com, a.mydomain.com, int.api.mydomain.com, etc". As the leading "*" can be replaced with any string. The second character is "." and this has to be present in all domains where this UCC cert is installed.

The "mydomain.com" does not have the dot at the beginning. This means that if you want to cover this domain as well, you need to add this to your certificate separately. The picture below shows this for the godaddy.com website.

Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 08.24.29.png

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

View solution in original post

Did you resolve the problem? I can see that your website has a cert for your registered domain as well as the "www" variant and it should work ok now.